Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

Welcome to the new

Celestial Events Heads Up forum

and the

Celestial Events Calendar

Post up about any short notice events such as lift off proms or Super Novae, or discuss events posted in the calendar

Follow the new forum and calendar to receive notifications and make sure you don't miss anything!

jabeoo1

Televue 3-6mm Zoom (Purchased)

jabeoo1    1,246

Anyone wanting to part with a TV 3-6 Zoom ?

Found @ Telescope House :)

Edited by jabeoo1
  • Like 1

Highburymark    1,167

James - they are currently on sale at Telescope House I think. Still v pricey tho' .

• Like 1

jabeoo1    1,246
On 4/9/2017 at 21:28, Highburymark said:

James - they are currently on sale at Telescope House I think. Still v pricey tho' .

They are still OTT to be honest* 

Its my last bit of astro gear barring maybe a 1.25 " Moon Filter but knowing they come up 2nd hand for £200 splashing £330 seems crazy to me still.....................................But its the last EP!  Then I cover 3-6mm 8mm, 11mm, 15mm, 22mm Widefield all in 1.25" barrels.   I am so happy now with the current set up I can't imagine changing any of it !

*But still could not resist one. 

Edited by jabeoo1
  • Like 1

Tonynexevo925    305

I haven't seen one on sale here for ages! I have one in my basket right now ready to buy....

just trying to see if a colleague can get one while in New York $340 so not a bad saving! But seems the stores that sell in NY are closed for Passover and don't reopen till after he is back home - couldn't believe it and hoping somewhere he can find me one 😏

• Like 1

jabeoo1    1,246

I noticed one on ABS which i missed by a small margin, then one went on ebay too.  

They are keepers & unique which is why they hardly change hands.  They seem to go for £200 ish, which is 50 % of new.  Its surprising they don't hold 2/3rds of their value like plossls etc. 

jabeoo1    1,246

Found one!  Thanks to Telescope House :) 

I could not resist doing it, I just got bored thinking about it in the end.  They seldom come up used and I think there may be a very good reason for it too. 

As long as the 3-6 Zoom lives up to expectation, thats will be my last Eyepiece. I have no intention of getting another scope, the FC-100 does wonders on the bright solar system targets under my light polluted sky.  I am looking forward to seeing how it performs here on M13 & what it can achieve under a dark Cornish sky (weather permitting!)

• Like 2

jabeoo1    1,246

I am excited as I have never used a zoom before :happy7:

• Like 2

Stu    17,500

The Nag Zoom is a little gem. It's quite possible to have most bases covered in the Tak with a 24mm Panoptic, a good Barlow and the Zoom at the top end. Great travel option.

• Like 1

Peter Drew    6,243

I managed to get a used one a few years ago, a great eyepiece. I use mine a great deal for testing telescopes at high power to judge quality and collimation.  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

jabeoo1    1,246
4 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Nag Zoom is a little gem. It's quite possible to have most bases covered in the Tak with a 24mm Panoptic, a good Barlow and the Zoom at the top end. Great travel option.

I am glad to hear you have high regard for it Stu.  I have spent quite a bit of time reading up on it, & then hankering after one.  It makes more sense over 3 or 4 fixed focal lengths.  Its a hefty price tag but its essentially 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm & everything in between.  So its value if you justify it that way (At least thats how I had to think of it whist clicking the transaction through).  

I considered the 24mm Panoptic too for a long time, in the end I took the opportunity to buy F15Rules 22mm Vixen LVW which I am very impressed with indeed.  It is a bigger unit but it punches some knock out views.  The Panoptic looks like a lovely little EP & I would like to look through one, although I won't be passing the LVW on for one I am sure of that. 

• Like 2

jabeoo1    1,246
6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I managed to get a used one a few years ago, a great eyepiece. I use mine a great deal for testing telescopes at high power to judge quality and collimation.  :icon_biggrin:

Peter it has obviously performed well, and if it passes your scrutiny it can't be a slouch :)

Stu    17,500
27 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

I am glad to hear you have high regard for it Stu.  I have spent quite a bit of time reading up on it, & then hankering after one.  It makes more sense over 3 or 4 fixed focal lengths.  Its a hefty price tag but its essentially 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm & everything in between.  So its value if you justify it that way (At least thats how I had to think of it whist clicking the transaction through).  

I considered the 24mm Panoptic too for a long time, in the end I took the opportunity to buy F15Rules 22mm Vixen LVW which I am very impressed with indeed.  It is a bigger unit but it punches some knock out views.  The Panoptic looks like a lovely little EP & I would like to look through one, although I won't be passing the LVW on for one I am sure of that. 

I'm sure the LVW is lovely, it's only the size difference that makes the Pan so good as a travel eyepiece.