Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ever wished you'd made a drawing?

Alfian

Last night I was essentially playing around with a different mount set up with my Tal 1 reflector. Had a good look at Jupiter with equatorial cloud belts easily visible but little more than that. The Galilean moons though really nicely lined up. The moon was very bright but luna views pretty good. I was taken with what at 135x and close to the luna limb looked like a dog legged shaped rille. Badly organised I had no atlas or luna map  so later on and today I have tried to chase down what I was looking at. The nearest I can get is the valleys and depressions around Rheita, but I could be way off. Anybody got any other ideas?

Moon 9417.png

I was looking at Schroter's valley last night near the limb. Was it that perhaps what you saw? It pulled my eye towards it, so looked at it for quite a while too, even though I wasn't planning to do any lunar observing last night. 

IMG_0480.thumb.PNG.13241b93d8ff2d5aafb6de2aceb20f60.PNG

Hi Gus, thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty certain it wasn't, Schroeder's whose snake like shape is distinctive. I must confess that after using my 'fracs for a while, using a reflector with different orientation has made me doubt my recollection as to where I was looking! When I say a dog leg, it was much more a straight shadowed edge to a fairly long valley with a kind of set square kink at the top. I really should have sketched it down as I have before, but frankly I really did not expect to get the views I did. Lesson learned!

Archived