Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brightest doubles near the Plough?

Some time ago I took a copy of a small list of doubles, it came from the Delaware Valley AA and they have changed their site and the original has gone. I added the SAO reference, my goto uses SAO numbers at least on some so a better chance of it doing the goto bit.

The table is only 20 or so doubles and the criteria is "Colour" so oddly none are in UMa.But I copied the table and sorted by 3 options: RA, Constellation, Primary and Secondary brightness. The last sorting sounds as if it may be relevant.

Somewhere in the deep dark depths of the PC hard drive I did have a larger list, that was about 200 doubles, think it was posted here by Michael actually. For all it is bigger it seems to hide a lot easier.

Double-Star-Sep.png

Doubles Tables attachment:

Doubles32SAO.doc

• 2 weeks later...

In case you need more, here's a PDF I made from the Washington Double Star catalogue with 22k+ double stars sorted by magnitude of the primary. If you click on UMA you'll get just those for Ursa Major, etc. Columns include separation in arcsec, position angle, magnitude of the secondary, mag difference, first and last observation years and spectral type.

DSMagI.pdf

Martin

In my view, it's wise to check data for a particular double if you're not using a definitive source like WDS (eg via Stelle Doppie) or the Cambridge guide, as values can sometimes be rather wrong, for example look at the separation values for Epsilon Lyrae (Double-Double) in the Eagle Creek listing - it gives 1.5 and 1.9 arcsec rather than the accepted current separations of 2.3 and 2.4 arcsec for 2015! Unless data are up-to-date and accurate, they can be quite misleading.

Chris

Archived