Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tips for using averted vision?

Based on all the references to using averted vision on SGL, I read an article and have been trying to use it myself. I'm seeing some improvement but it feels unnatural. My instinct is to look directly at the object. Any tips for using this technique or does it simply come with practise?

Borrowing some Yoga can help. Relaxation is key to using A.V. Allow me to give you a technique?

Okay - start with your jaw and mouth. Focus on your breath - deep & calm. Feel it become relaxed and deep. Now deeper. Now your jaw. Relax. Breathe. Relax. Let your jaw drop slightly. Relax. Gentle. Relax. Feel your nose relaxing. Relaxing. Breathe relaxing. Relaxing. The bones around your eyes relaxing. Relaxing.

Your eyes should be nicely relaxed and some drifting taking place by doing the above. These are tricks I learned in studying hypnosis. You'll get it.

Relax,

Dave

I find the averted vision techniques most satisfying, when they change your viewing impressions from "absolutely nothing to perceive" to "there is definitely something of approximately that size and shape". Best example for this during the last weeks was Comet 41P/ Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak, which I never could make out with direct vision, but almost always when using AV. As others have said above, it's a practice thing; have patience and try out, which retina location is your most sensitive one for this purpose. Look slightly to left or right directions (horizontal), it may be different for each eye.

Stephan

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

My instinct is to look directly at the object.

If its difficult to see your target directly then look away, avert your vision slightly, thats the tip. If its still difficult to see, seek another target, but you will always look back to compare!
I do it with Ursa Minor, I see three Stars naturally, Polaris, Kochab and Pherkad but the others need averted vision when observed from my light polluted garden. Away from home, I can join the dots easily.

I put the object a little away from the centre (for me it's to the left). It's natural for me to look at the middle so my vision is naturally averted when the object isn't there. I found looking at open clusters like M37 in Auriga or M67 in Cancer really helped. With averted vision they are transformed even though they are easy to see directly too. From there I learnt a bit more about what to do with objects that I can't actually see directly.

hello @Littleguy80

Has a test, you can try to fix a point away from the object then move this object a bit with the telescope knob, a few minutes back and forth. I use the DEC knob on my EQ mount to do or just moving the tube gently.

This can help to study the effects of averted vision and momentarily reveal stunning new features of a DSO. Some galaxies will reveal new invisible faint stars around the galactic core for instance, the features will appear and disappear with averted vision, it's not stable.

It's always a satisfying experience to be able to see these faint features, like details of the whirlpool galaxy. With averted vision and good conditions, I saw parts of the spiral twirl one time. (with 200mm aperture)

If this can help!

The only tip that I would add is to try "averting" in different directions, ie: above and below as well as to the side. I find my eye more sensitive on one side than the other and sometimes above the target as well. Exeriment and see what works best for you :smiley:

It works when trying to spot faint point sources as well such as planetary moons, Supernovae etc.

Averted vision helps if you want to see faint nebulosity.

It becomes reel fun with NGC 6826, the blinking nebula. Through small telescopes, with direct vision, all you see of this object is the central star. With averted vision the planetary nebula around it pops into view. I've seen it myself in 4, 6 and 8 inch telescopes.

Archived