Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some rilles in the Aristarch region

Nyctimene

Last evening, I took out the 18" Obsession to make use of the good seeing prognosis by Meteoblue. The Aristarch region showed the prominent Vallis Schröter  with the "cobra head" very distinctively at V=250x, as well as the crater walls of Aristarch itself. Went over to the semi-flooded crater Prinz, and the crooked Prinz rille in it's full length. More difficult were the three Aristarch rilles, two of them extending from small craterlets  straight to NNE; these needed the 6 mmf Orthoscopic to make out details. 

The Promontorium Laplace showed again a phenomenon I had observed already Sept. 13, 2016: two small/tiny spots of ink black shadows remained very far away from the terminator in the sunlight flooded Mare Imbrium region. During the one hour observing time  (22.15-23.10 CEST) they were filled up more and more with light; has anyone else spotted them?

Jupiter showed four moons and some detail, but was still too low; I'll have another try next evening.

Quite contented with the good seeing, I ended up with a Chartreuse verte; and so to bed.

Stephan

Nice report Stephan, I too spent a long time on the Vallis Schroter, it looked fantastic last night. Then went to the southern highlands and enjoyed a great view of Schickard which was right on the terminator. I guess it's all about timing to enjoy our neighbour.

Like you say Jupiter is still terribly low but nevertheless great to see.

Archived