Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sepp

Beginner

Total beginner, so much to learn, and understand. Have just purchased a telescope, Celestron astromaster 130eq, I have a 10mm eyepiece plus a 20mm

erecting eyepiece, my main interest is in the planets, so was hoping someone can guide me to the particular eyepieces I may need.

Hi Sepp, and welcome to S G L, there are many types of eyepieces at varied prices, you would be 

better posting your question in the eyepieces forum, stating what your budget is , this will help

to determine your price range, enjoy the forums.

Clear Sky's. 

• Like 1

Hello, Sepp, and welcome to SGL - it's nice of you to join us!

You'll find a very good forum on eyepieces here, and lots of knowledgable people who'd be happy to assist you.

We'll have you up & running in no time!

Starry Skies -

Dave

• Like 1

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. You do not have to rush into buying new eyepieces. The best advice for a beginner with their first telescope is to use the eyepieces provided . They are more than adequate to allow you to learn how to use your scope and gain the experience needed to allow you to choose new eyepieces when you have a better idea what you require. You can then post on the appropriate forum where you will get lots of advice. I would just add that when you do post it is best to give an idea of budget as eyepieces can cost from a few pounds to several hundreds. For the moment just go out and enjoy your new hobby.

• Like 1

I have to say a big big thank you for all the positive replies I received, from you all. I was made to feel most welcome. Good sound advice, and most, easy to understand. If I do hit another problem I know where to come, thanks again guys.

Hi Sepp 

I have the same telescope and recently bought the AstroMaster accessory kit from Amazon for about £50. It comes with a 2x magnification Barlow lens than doubles your existing lenses, as well as a 15 mm and a 6 mm lens (and filters). I haven't tried them out yet due to the weather, but I have read that I should expect to see the bands on Jupiter and rings of Saturn with this equipment on a clear night.

Hayley 

Hi Sepp

I have the 90EQ. your scope seems to be a popular one. I also have the accessory kit from Amazon. it works well and was able to see Jupiter quite clearly and the 15mm is definitely my happy medium at the moment!

Welcome aboard, take your time before buying eyepieces, do your research first.