SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter at Opposition from Bembridge - 07/04

SnakeyJ

Blimey, the PI Gods smiled last night giving fair conditions and, at times, reasonable seeing for Jupiter's opposition.    Only a cursary look at the data this morning, but managed four decent runs around 22:40 and 23:00.   Sadly the seeing deteriorated after a meridian flip, despite retuning collimation and ADC tweaking, so gave up as the GRS was appearing.   Still it was great to get out and get a little use from the gear :)

2017-04-07-2301_6-JG-L_web.png.cc765abd00a5602132096493d3d24eae.png

2017-04-07-2304_2-JG-L_web.png.5ecf91221b3f37e650b9e360f593fed1.png

Forgot to adjust the colour balance on the second image, but only a quick first pass!

Very nice Jake, particularly the 2nd image. Some lovely detail there, I do love the string of white spots currently on show.

The seeing seemed to hold up fairly well in Bedfordshire last night/morning. I did think we had a good chance, no Jetstream, no wind, high pressure, another go maybe tomorrow morning before the obligatory deterioration on Monday.

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent images Jake, good to see you're getting out under the stars, hope all is well with you and yours.

Dave

Thank you Dave - I've had plenty of clear sky, but seem to have so little energy left at the end of the day!   That said it was fantastic to get out last night and I even had the telementor out, testing some recent EP aquisitions on Jupiter and the moon.   It's a cracking little scope and was delivering nice surface details with CircleT 6mm volcano top (x140) - pretty sure I could push it further on the moon, but keeping on target with the manual mount is a bit of a chore!

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Really nice images, got some definite detail on Ganymede too!  Really great work with a manual mount

Cheers Craig - though the Telementor/T2 mount was purely a visual treats while capturing the images on my OO250 on a somewhat pushed Heq5 mount.

You can get quite nice Albedo variation on Ganymede, though probably more pronounced here as a sharpening artefact!

Lovely stuff Jake! Beautiful :thumbsup: Amazing details on Ganymede!!

The seeing was exceptional last night. I could see the white ovals, the turbulence in the N/S eq bands, and counted 11 bands visually.  Clouded out before the GRS came around though unfortunately :rolleyes: 

All the best,

-Niall

Absolutely awesome detail! I feel so annoyed with myself for not getting the scope out now. Especially since I now have a 224MC and ZWO ADC that I need to take for a spin. Really nice work and beautiful processing. Great captures. 

Its images like that that inspired me to get in to astronomy and astrophotography. Really stunning. I am on holiday on IOW (Seaview) in May, might bring the telescope.

Archived