SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ganymede and shadow transit

kerrylewis

Terrific moon and shadow transit just ended. Because we are close to opposition the moons and their shadows are very close and Ganymede and its shadow looked to be overlapping giving a superb 3D effect. The moon itself was very visible against the planet's limb and then leaving the disc just before the shadow. Great sight despite mediocre seeing with the planet bubbling away at time over everybody''s central heating. First good view of a transit for a while. 

Nice one! I caught the shadow transit earlier when lower down, and scope still cooling.

Just went out again after getting the kids to bed - I'm just observing from my front garden, over rooftops across the road - but wow! Seeing is unusually steady here: just had Jupiter at 560x with detail holding up very nicely.  My scope is moving beautifully, but have to adjust every few seconds to chase and track manually. 420x is a nice compromise :)

Archived