SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular Mount for tall guy

Hey all,

I've joined an astronomy association recently and instantly found that setting up my own scope will take ages and will need for power options. SO I've got a pair of 25x70 bins but I think during our observation session i'd like to mount them on a tripod. I currently have a tripod I was given years ago but it only goes up to my chest, a bit small possibly? Does anyone recommend a cheapish (up to £50) tripod to mount my bins to. I'm about 6ft so that's a start. I know cheap may not be stable but I'd rather have any mount than no mount.

Thanks all,

Tom

See http://binocularsky.com/binoc_mount.php

After reading this site, I got an "AmazonBasics Tripod with Pistol Grip Head" (70 inch) and an "AmazonBasics Monopod" (67 inch). Together they come to £61 but you can often get used ones on the site, perhaps a cheaper monopod and come in under your £50, and having the two then gives you options.

Quality-wise, seem absolutely sound enough for what they are but haven't used them extensively. You may need a binocular tripod adapter and possibly a thread adapter for the monopod as the threaded nipple may be smaller, so perhaps another £10+.

I find using the pistol grip in colder weather necessitates gloves. The monopod is convenient but not perfect - at 25x, my experience with 15x suggests you may need to be seated or resting against something to use it effectively. The tripod should be fine, though and the pistol grip is plenty strong enough for x70s.

Their not cheap, over your described budget, but my Manfrotto allows me to do this  ( gallery_31769_2737_60375.jpg ) and when vertical, its taller than me, over 5' 8". The image shows one  of my astronomy chairs? its just a leather dining chair, but the perfect height for sitting, resting the head back and observing.

Ive had various tripods over the years, for 35mm and VCR?  but nothing has come close to my present mount. I also have the Manfrotto 222 tiger/ball head.

For now, what about resting your binoculars on an upturned broom handle, one of a suitable length, a towel or something around the  broom head for protection,  this makes for a steady mono-pole, temporary of course!

Again while above your budget, the Manfrotto 475B takes some beating (and will need a suitable head).  You'll never need another tripod; I'm 1.89m and can easily get the head above my eye level so can point my 20x80 binocs well up to the zenith - indeed I could wear platform shoes and still get the binocs to a working height ;)

I've got a cheap but sturdy Amazon-sourced (Ravelli) tripod for sale at 25 pounds plus postage - see in classified section.  It extends to about 1.79 m, and with a binocular bracket will place the hinge of the binoculars 1.86m off the ground.

ravelli-tall.jpg

I was dealing with exactly this issue, I'm 6ft, and the tripod I mount my 20x80s on isn't tall enough. The other night I thought I'd try sitting on my drum stool, the one I usually use with my scope. It's perfect. Comfortable, easy on the neck even when viewing near zenith. Cheaper than buying a taller tripod.

This is the one I use, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Paragon-HD-F2-Heavy-Tripod/dp/B0069VY1GI

I am not quite 6 foot but others who are say this is working for them. It extends to 72 inches which is 6 feet exactly so you won't be far off , maybe have to crouch a bit for very high up objects. Hefty and solid. Around 80 or 90 beer tokens....

Archived