Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full moon.....What to observe.

Any suggestions for what I can observe and image tonight with the moon being so bright?

I found it very difficult last night with the sky brightness. Don't want to waste a rare clear sky ?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jupiter? If not try splitting some double stars, couldn't tell you which double stars as I go through the goto catalog of double stars, see which one is visible from my garden then try and split them. 

I don't think it is quite a full Moon tonight so how about some Lunar observing? there will still be a good termination line and some of the crater edges will look like they are detached.
I have just had a peek and there are some lovely views even against the blue sky so the darker skies tonight should be pretty good .

I saw the Moon a couple of hours ago, and it is nowhere near full. Shouldnt be a problem later on. In fact, the Moon is just right to observe about now. Great detail on the terminator. It is waxing gibbous.................

Perfect time to pick out fine details. 

Barn Owls gathering on one of the chimneys in Moonlight is my current favourite observing session. :) (obsession)

at 3am last night there were 4 of them. Woo Hoo

Of course the Moon itself warrants close inspection.

Rich

Moon and Jupiter for me tonight: 1st time out in over a month :) Not bothering to drive to a darker spot. One of the pixels clearing the tree is Jove!

Have already spotted the shadow from the transit of Ganymede: always verycool to see an eclipse taking place on another world ;)

IMG_20170407_205844752.thumb.jpg.f8da97393f4a6a798ccf8da2bf4e077a.jpg

You lucky things!

Barn owls, now that is a treat ? 

I did see Ganymede emerge from Jupiter. However never realised it was a transit as I was using my 70mm scope! Darn!! It was still great to see.

Also saw a pretty cool crater near the terminator that resembled a watch face ? with an hour hand! Also a group of mountains below Sinus Iridium. 

Thanks for all your help.

Hahaha I was going to post the very same question. I was out last night getting frustrated with my camera set up and ended doing some double stars and the messier clusters in Auriga. Then I foolishly looked at the moon (with a filter, I might add) and saw a huge white dot in my right eye for the rest of the night. Good job the scope only takes a couple of minutes to set up and take down. I think nights like these make those clear, moonless nights that little bit precious. Got me a visit to a dark sky sight in the forest of Bowland lined up for he weekend. Fingers crossed for clear skies and a late rising moon.

Jupiter is looking lovely tonight. 4 Galilean moons seem equally spaced at the moment and all in the same plane.

A question for the more experienced observers, in a 25mm eyepiece there was a further object, on the right (currently single moon to the right, three to the left in my refractor). Slightly above the plane of the 4 moons and to the right of the single moon on the right, around about the same magnitude. Not sure what it is? I shouldn't be able to see more than 4 moons should I?

32 minutes ago, kiloran said:

Jupiter is looking lovely tonight. 4 Galilean moons seem equally spaced at the moment and all in the same plane.

A question for the more experienced observers, in a 25mm eyepiece there was a further object, on the right (currently single moon to the right, three to the left in my refractor). Slightly above the plane of the 4 moons and to the right of the single moon on the right, around about the same magnitude. Not sure what it is? I shouldn't be able to see more than 4 moons should I?

Here's the view from Skysafari for a 90mm 'frac using a 25mm EP. The only other object in that area you describe was Thete Virginis.

IMG_0482.thumb.PNG.e2b719d7ac2a048482857c3e5f9145db.PNG

@Trumpetnut Forest of Bowland is good, some nice dark skies - not super dark, but the best I've been under.

@kiloran there was a background star in my FOV too, last night - almost certainly the one that knighty pointed out. I love Jupiter when it's  moons are lined up, all nice and orderly. Not like Saturn with its moons all over the place, all higgledy piggledy.

29 minutes ago, Bradderstar said:

saturday was spot on for jupiter (forgive then pun) all moons in line and i could be wrong but i think thats spica at the top of my pic, it was taken with a nokia lumia so its not the clearest of image your ever likely to see

WP_20170408_22_52_54_Pro.jpg

Spica is further away, and much brighter. The star is Theta Virginis.

Nice shot :) 

IMG_0576.PNG

3 minutes ago, Bradderstar said:

oh, ok still getting my head round all this, this is a pic of my planisphere app saturday at time of viewing ish suppose was easy mistake to make

WP_20170411_16_43_22_Pro.jpg

Yep, easy to do.

It is well worth getting a good understanding of scale when looking at the sky and viewing through a Finder or eyepiece.

For instance, this image shows a 10 degree circle in blue, something you might see in a pair of widefield, low power binoculars (7x35 or similar), whilst the red circles are 4, 2 and 0.5 degrees respectively. 4 degrees might be what you get in a widefield scope with a low power eyepiece, 2 degrees might be a low power in a larger/longer focal length scope and half a degree would be a higher power, possibly what you might see for planetary observing (actually often less than this).

Spica is currently 7 degrees from Jupiter so you won't see them together in a scope.

IMG_0578.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived