More focal lengths for the Vixen HR line!

Piero

After observing through my new 2.4mm Vixen HR, I decided to write an email to Vixen (JP). This is actually the first time I do something like this, but I felt it necessary because in my opinion:

1) This eyepiece surpasses all the eyepieces I have tried so far. Of course I don't have an experience on eyepieces as a few veterans here on SGL and elsewhere (e.g. CN), but I have tried some fine glass (e.g. Docter UWA, Zeiss zoom 25.1-6.7mm, TV Nagler/plossl/Delos, Vixen SLV) to be in a position to say that this Vixen HR certainly deserves attention. 

2) While Vixen released three focal lengths for this HR model (2.4mm, 2.0mm, and 1.6mm), most users would need longer focal lengths for their planetary observations (e.g. 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, and 8mm). 

Therefore, in my email I congratulated with them about their great product and asked whether there is a chance to add more focal lengths in the future.

It would be great if the owners of this eyepiece post their thoughts and / or state interest in more focal lengths for this line.

Personally, I would get a 3.5mm and 5mm immediately if they were available. :smile:

---- 

p.s. The decision of starting this thread is because I consider that this eyepiece is just outstanding. I don't have any affiliation or business with Vixen.

I might drop Opticron / Vixen in the UK an e.mail about this. I've met Pete Gamby (their representative) a couple of times at shows and had an interesting chat to him. I think he is a member here actually so he might see this thread :icon_biggrin:

That would be great John! 

Any chance that FLO can loan you the 2.4mm so that you can test it with your Vixen refractor? I would be really interested in reading your opinion particularly due to your extensive experience with orthos.

6 minutes ago, Piero said:

That would be great John! 

Any chance that FLO can loan you the 2.4mm so that you can test it with your Vixen refractor? I would be really interested in reading your opinion particularly due to your extensive experience with orthos.

I did discuss this with Steve at FLO a little while ago but at that point they hadn't had much interest in the range so we mutually decided against doing a review.

Maybe I'll get a chance if the range is extended ?

Yourself and Gerry (Jetstream) seem to be providing excellent feedback on these eyepieces so there is now some great feedback available on them :icon_biggrin:

53 minutes ago, Piero said:

After observing through my new 2.4mm Vixen HR, I decided to write an email to Vixen (JP). This is actually the first time I do something like this, but I felt it necessary because in my opinion:

1) This eyepiece surpasses all the eyepieces I have tried so far. Of course I don't have an experience on eyepieces as a few veterans here on SGL and elsewhere (e.g. CN), but I have tried some fine glass (e.g. Docter UWA, Zeiss zoom 25.1-6.7mm, TV Nagler/plossl/Delos, Vixen SLV) to be in a position to say that this Vixen HR certainly deserves attention. 

2) While Vixen released three focal lengths for this HR model (2.4mm, 2.0mm, and 1.6mm), most users would need longer focal lengths for their planetary observations (e.g. 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, and 8mm). 

Therefore, in my email I congratulated with them about their great product and asked whether there is a chance to add more focal lengths in the future.

It would be great if the owners of this eyepiece post their thoughts and / or state interest in more focal lengths for this line.

Personally, I would get a 3.5mm and 5mm immediately if they were available. :smile:

---- 

p.s. The decision of starting this thread is because I consider that this eyepiece is just outstanding. I don't have any affiliation or business with Vixen.

What a great thread and what a recommendation when you can see the eyepieces that you have experienced. I hope that Paul Gamby picks up on this thread. I certainly would like some additional eyepieces in this range especially the 3.5mm area.

Piero I hope you get a reply.

Thanks Mark.

While waiting for Paul, here is a collection of images of my 2.4mm. It's a well built eyepiece. The coatings are green (with some green/blue tint). The eye rubber is firm but not hard like the Nagler T6 I owned. The barrel is smooth but gets slightly tighter at the top. This reminds me the barrel of the ES eyepieces. Finally, it comes with a "shield" for stray lights which works very well. I thought this shield was made of plastic from the pictures I saw on the internet before buying this eyepiece, but it is actually made of a robust material.

20170407_180812.thumb.jpg.1547ce3f8de1db01e30c739c98791c1a.jpg20170407_180952.thumb.jpg.7f6ba88a810d813da7b7514b706f7c67.jpg20170407_181032.thumb.jpg.b3f7f79114995c91f3fbf1186b7ccdd7.jpg20170407_181007.thumb.jpg.c11ff22e41096cb7f129e022641b16c8.jpg20170407_181117.thumb.jpg.2fd9e25ade947194c12102908034eb72.jpg20170407_181152.thumb.jpg.c6b19253b9d65943c27757caf68452c0.jpg

Specs: 

Field of view: 42°
Eye relief: 10 mm
Lenses / groups: 5 / 3
Barrel size / Filter thread: 1 1/4" with filterthread
Weight: 4.4oz

For preliminary comments about its performance in the field, see:  

... more report to come!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

FLO would have loaned me one or two of the Vixen HR's to review and report back on. After discussing it with them we concluded that the likely interest in them would be very limited - at that point FLO had not sold any I seem to recall. So we decided between us not to proceed.

I guess the market for the Tak TOA's will be similarly small :icon_scratch:

I'm sure these are superb eyepieces though.

• 1 month later...

Archived