Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

johnfosteruk

Wonderful quick lunar session

Have 2 nephews staying today. We went swimming after dinner then watched a movie then it was time for the telescope. Both of the boys were wowed by the lunar views and to be fair so was I. The seeing was rock steady and Dylan (7) said he saw Neil Armstrong, priceless. I took advantage of the opportunity to study some favourites when the boys went to bed. Plato at 200x was terrific. Razor sharp walls and just a sliver of shadow off the east wall, the collapsed part of the west wall the sharpest I've ever seen. 

In Imbrium at 125x the small craters were abundant. Lambert, Pytheas, Delisle & Diophantus among the many as well as Mons Delisle shaped like a shark tooth. Gruithuisen gamma and delta with Gamma's summit Crater are formidable then on past the Carpathian Mountains. 

In the south, Clavius, Tycho and Moretus all stunning, 

It was a lovely quick session and there's much much more in the notes but off to sleep now. 

• Like 10

Good stuff. Luna was indeed great tonight, enjoyed it immensely.

Nice read.

Terrible rain over here at the west coast of Norway. :sad2:

• Like 1

Nice one John, n'owt wrong with a quick lunar session. I managed to get the binos on the moon for about ten mins; looked lovely!

• Like 1

Great report John, it seems many off us had some good lunar observing last night.

• Like 1