Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Lockie

Classic Japan 76.2mm f/16.4 Refractor, mount etc

I'm selling my beautiful classic long focus refractor OTA complete with removable metal dew shield, EQ/AZ mount, wooden case, finder and bracket, 5 eye pieces including an Ortho! .965" diagonal, 1.25" diagonal, Sun projection screen, erect image prism, Barlow and original paperwork. 

I'm offering this for sale here first as I would love a fellow SGLr to have it. I'll see how it goes for a week before placing the ad elsewhere in the usual places. 

It took me nearly two years to find one of these local enough to me to collect, and I've owned it for just over a year now. I really like it but I've just ordered another long focus refractor which has just hit the market and I'm keen to be one of the first to review it. I could do with the money towards this and other things, plus I don't need two similar scopes in a house crammed full of kids toys!. This scope always feels special to use, really great on the Moon, planets, and double stars. In it's day it really was top of the range.

The scope is stamped circle K for Kenko of Japan and badged Panorama.  

Prior to my ownership it belonged to a local school, and was in use as the schools telescope from the late 70's upto the 90's when they replaced it with a Meade ETX125. It then sat in a cupboard until it was sold to me!

for it's age it's generally in very good condition, just superficial scratches on the tube, the handle for the wooden box has broken, and the wooden box is tatty, and for public safety I chucked the classic Sun filter at a wall! so er? that's missing ;)  

The optics are lovely and I mean lovely, the scope got some positive sounds made about it at my local club so it's not just me.

Normally I post pretty much anything but I can't bring myself to post this so it's collection only from Ipswich IP5.

To reflect that it's collection only and they are not everyones cup of tea and I'm keen to promote these long fracs, I'm only going to ask for £85. Trust me it's a LOT of scope and kit for 85 quid! 

Any questions please ask and I'll be happy to answer.

Chris 

IMG_20170406_145151.jpg

IMG_20170406_145203.jpg

IMG_20170406_145217.jpg

IMG_20170406_145225.jpg

IMG_20170406_150026.jpg

IMG_20170406_150037.jpg

IMG_20170406_150214.jpg

IMG_20170406_150229.jpg

IMG_20170406_150236.jpg

IMG_20170406_150609.jpg

IMG_20170406_150620.jpg

IMG_20170406_150949.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice, looks exactly like my Prinz 660 before I refurbished it. They can easily be upgraded to use standard 1.25" eyepieces by swapping the visual back. Someone should preserve this classic...

• Like 3

Great scope Chris, at a bargain price! Superb on Luna and doubles especially. Someone should grab this ?.

What's the new long focus frac you're getting?? Do tell, with pics if possible??

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, digital_davem said:

Very nice, looks exactly like my Prinz 660 before I refurbished it. They can easily be upgraded to use standard 1.25" eyepieces by swapping the visual back. Someone should preserve this classic...

Hi Dave, yes one and the same as the 660 I think :) I think it has that visual back adaptor as well as 965 to 1.25" diagonal, this scope works superbly with my Plossls :) 

20 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Great scope Chris, at a bargain price! Superb on Luna and doubles especially. Someone should grab this ?.

What's the new long focus fraction you're getting?? Do tell, with pics if possible??

Dave

Hi Dave, hope you're well and the move went ok? :) lol yeah I think I've priced it a bit low, but got to attract someone to collect it, and it could do with some mild tlc when it comes to the superficial aesthetics. I might not sell it so cheap elsewhere though, special SGL price :) The optics and the mechanics are the main thing and thy are great, to have owned one of these in the 60's or 70's you'd have been either very lucky or rich I reckon. 

As well as car expenses and space in my house, the scope in the thread below is the main reason for the sale, I've been waiting a year since they were first announced, if my last Bresser is anything to go by it should be good:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Wish I lived closer - I want one of these :hmh:

I remember thinking the same when I was on the lookout for one, they always seem to pop up hundreds of miles away don't they! Sorry I can't post it, with the big ply box and everything it's just too risky. 

22 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Ipswich

Very nice Chris  but I not go over to Ipswich to get it.

10 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Very nice Chris  but I not go over to Ipswich to get it.

Doesn't sound like this beauty was meant for you then ;) 

3 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Doesn't sound like this beauty was meant for you then ;) 

Just send a pm to you

• Like 1

Sale pending to Starlight 1, thanks :icon_salut: 

They were fairly cheap scopes back when new, I had the Prinz 660 and the 550 still have the 550 they came from Dixons I think, love to hear about the Bresser 102/1300 when you get it

Gordon

Edited by Seafury

49 minutes ago, Seafury said:

They were fairly cheap scopes back when new, I had the Prinz 660 and the 550 still have the 550 they came from Dixons I think, love to hear about the Bresser 102/1300 when you get it

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I thought these were the top of the range from Dixons? 

As much as I would have liked the 102/1300, I'm getting the 90/1200. I only have a beefed up EQ3 and the 90mm suits my wallet better at the moment. I'm excited for it to arrive and get it some first light. I will report back! :) 

I hope someone reports on the 102/1300 too soon, looks like a beast!

Hi Chris top of the range from Dixons was cheap when compared to the other scopes on offer from the other co's at that time, I think my 550 was about £35 in 1968 ish? but I might be remembering wrongly and it was pretty awful in terms of build quality, the 660 was much better still I thought it was wonderful at the time

cheers gordon

• Like 1

Looking forward to picking this up at the weekend, been trying to find out on the shop that sold them , and testing it out with my old japan swift circle T Ep

• Like 1

Now sold, Mods please archive the ad, thanks :)