Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd run of Takahashi FC-100DL's due soon

6 minutes ago, RichLD said:

No one needs a Tak.

Now, now. There is no room for such dissent in this thread.

Resident Finance Controllers might be watching :rolleyes2: 

Move along, nothing to see here... :wink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DRT said:

Now, now. There is no room for such dissent in this thread.

Resident Finance Controllers might be watching :rolleyes2: 

Move along, nothing to see here... :wink:

Can I just explain that my wife was stood next to me when I typed this :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Thankfully I have a Mak so no need of a Takahshi but I was wondering who makes the Flourite glass for them.

Akan

I think Canon-Optron make the glass for Takahashi.

14 hours ago, John said:

Depends what you are using now and how good your horizon is where Jupiter is located but I'm finding Jupiter a tougher target than in previous years, despite owning the best gear that I've even had to observe it. It might be Jupiters position in the sky rather than your eyepieces that are limiting things ?

I think i read on sky and telescope that Jupiter will be quite small in the next few years, but i cannot remember exactly. Until 2022?

About the tak, i might get one one day, but more likely the DC. Great telescopes anyway. One cannot go wrong whatever s/he chooses!

1 minute ago, Piero said:

I think i read on sky and telescope that Jupiter will be quite small in the next few years, but i cannot remember exactly. Until 2022?

It's really the altitude that Jupiter reaches in the UK currently that is the problem. The disk is a generous apparent diameter but there is more of our atmosphere between me and it than I'd ideally like !

Taking the scope 1000 km south is one solution :smiley:

9 minutes ago, Piero said:

...About the tak, i think i will get one one day, but i think i will choose the DC one. Great telescopes anyway. One cannot go wrong whatever s/he chooses!

If I did not already have the Vixen ED102SS which is F/6.5, I'd have gone for the F/7.4 Tak :smiley:

Owning two 4" refractors has been hard enough to explain to my other half. If they were similar in spec that would be harder still !

1 minute ago, Piero said:

Yup! On June I am going to Italy and hopefully the sky will be good for a proper 'zoom' on Jupiter and Saturn! :)

I'm going to Costa Rica in September but I can't fit a scope in ! :dontknow:

1 minute ago, John said:

If I did not already have the Vixen ED102SS which is F/6.5, I'd have gone for the F/7.4 Tak :smiley:

That is a gorgeous telescope, very versatile at 6.5. If I had one it would be a keeper.

1 minute ago, John said:

Nice one! Can you dissemble the focuser from the Vixen ? If so, you might be within the hand bag limits. 

5 minutes ago, Piero said:

Nice one! Can you dissemble the focuser from the Vixen ? If so, you might be within the hand bag limits. 

It's "wife approval limits" that I'm worried about ! :wink:

Cheers Piero - got to get to bed now - off to Amsterdam at 6:00 am tomorrow :rolleyes2:

9 minutes ago, John said:

:eek:

I suppose it is a bit of a long flight to ask Mrs John to go in the hold so that the VX12L can have a seat on the flight :rolleyes2:

How much room do you have?

Need....

Its interesting that word. Their something's in life that bring us joy in use. Their are others that bring us joy from ownership or joy from the craftsmanship. Typically whatever the interest there are very few things that can bring be two or more of those above. For me Takahashi telescopes are in this category of the few. The truth is I bought mine because I felt I deserved something special and it feels that way to me when I use it and when I look through it I can see its a fine telescope.

No one needs a Takahashi when more telescope can be had for less money.

When I see that Tak refractor in its case it reminds me of when I was a boy with my 60mm Tasco refractor. If as a boy I could see me now forty years later with a 100mm Takahashi. Well its a wonderful thought mixed in with a little bit of giddy happiness.

If you try and justify buying a Takahashi refractor based on need you will never justify it. As soon as you start thinking about the other things your just waiting for the right time. Buy a great scope and keep and use it for ten years then it will become great value for money. Whats more you will probably never want to part with it. Even better if you do it will still be worth a pretty penny.

If your here. You really do deserve a Takahashi refractor. Just don't wait to long.

As long as you havent deprived anyone else of something to get it I would say not lucky but deserving. Having something special or expensive is a joy. One that astronomers sometimes don't share because we are a modest bunch. I suspect looking at the universe has made us humble. At least that's what I choose to belive.

On 09/04/2017 at 16:09, Alien_Photons said:

.....Having something special or expensive is a joy. One that astronomers sometimes don't share because we are a modest bunch. I suspect looking at the universe has made us humble. ...

Oh, I don't know about that - have you had a look though the "show us your eyepiece case" thread ? Plenty of "sharing" going on there :icon_biggrin:

55 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Would one of these do as a donner scope for my upcoming PST mod????

Paul

I think the answer is yes, but you'd want to upgrade the focuser to a FeatherTouch and replaced the clamshell with some decent CNC rings :wink:

30 minutes ago, DRT said:

I think the answer is yes, but you'd want to upgrade the focuser to a FeatherTouch and replaced the clamshell with some decent CNC rings :wink:

Funnily enough.... I'm wondering about trying my PST Mod on my Tak 100DC.  My ERF is basically 80mm, so that would give me close to the recommended f10.  I just need to be fully sure the ERF holder doesn't scratch fhe dewshield!  My feathertouch focuser is shorter than the stock focuser so I think getting positioning of the etalon should be fine.  Next time the Sun comes out....

Helen

Archived