SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jura Mountains?

Stu

Seem to be crazy busy with lots of stuff on currently, typical that there have been some lovely clear skies lately I could not take advantage of.

Anyway, managed a few short minutes with the 8x56s on the Moon just now. The terminator looked fabulous as always, but I was struck by the 'crater rim' extending out into the blackness very clearly.

Am I right in thinking these are the Jura Mountains? Seems about right?

Lovely sight anyway.

IMG_0427.PNG

I had a look at this about an hour ago through my C11 - stunning detail and a lovely feature to observe on the terminator.

Unfortunately I didn't have a bottle of Jura to hand to celebrate the event so have made do with a glass of Lagavulin :smile:

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks chaps. Must have looked amazing in a scope, was pretty good in binos!

Saw it last night while giving the binoviewers their first outing Stu. Utterly astonishing. Looked like a Solar ejection in black and grey...

1 hour ago, Racey said:

Saw it last night while giving the binoviewers their first outing Stu. Utterly astonishing. Looked like a Solar ejection in black and grey...

I  thought it looked a bit like the loop over Wembley Stadium :smile:

22 hours ago, Stu said:

Must have looked amazing in a scope,

yes it was !

I was looking and drawing (aide memoire, not yet got the skills for sketching !) last night and noted some hill-tops emerging above the terminator in isolation from the surrounding blackness, I thought I was drawing the Mons Pico but no - when I came indoors to examine my charts there was no match !

I have been searching  Rukl and allsorts since without result ( and of course by tonight all looked totally different anyway ) so I retired with a glass of nectar, then found you in binoculars !

I think I (we) have a match ( I was in totally the wrong bay! )   between your pic and my outline silverfish !

The three vert. yellows being the give-away I think ( couldnt find anything like this in my cats. think I'll have to get a phone ! ) :-

Stu_Jura.jpg.5d25859f1ce182f0f413b8ea19c26ea2.jpg

Iridum_779S.thumb.jpg.bc5fcc861528e906aba961a881f0c374.jpg

Does that app have a set of matching images without the inscriptions ? cos I still have not located two of those outline craters that were meant as my index, possibly below the red line obscured by "Iridum"

By the way, that gradient isnt light pollution, it is my rubbish attempt with the camera/flash - cos my scanner has decided to put its legs in the air :(

Edit a few minutes later, no worries, I've found my way back to Derek's pages http://www.derekscope.co.uk

Archived