Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please help moon is perfectly visible but....

Bradderstar

Hello all, i have just had a celestron 130 eq bought for me for my 40th Birthday i have little experience but ive polar alined and located jupiter after viewing the moon which was perfectly clear i then tried jupiter for some reason the cross member of the mirror support is obstructing everything, can someone help please, ive tried youtube, google etc and have had no joy 

I am not sure I fully understand the described problem.  Do you mean that when you moved from the Moon to view Jupiter that you were able to see the spider vane that holds the secondary mirror in place at the entrance aperture of the scope (or a shadow of it) when looking through the eyepiece?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jupiter has not yet risen, presumably this happened last night?

Also a very good point!  I am still stuck in the office and have no idea what time it is (but clearly found time for a quick visit to SGL! :icon_biggrin:)

If you are seeing the shadow of the secondary support it usually means you are not focused, did you change the focus setting after viewing the moon? it is quite common for people to find a star or planet and try to re focus because it looks tiny, the focus position should not be any different for any object in the sky.

Alan

Alan beat me to it. ;)

But I don't find that what I think is best focus on the Moon is actually best focus on things much further away. There is a minute degree involved between the 2 when tweaking.

4 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Alan beat me to it. ;)

But I don't find that what I think is best focus on the Moon is actually best focus on things much further away. There is a minute degree involved between the 2 when tweaking.

Its close but as said by Rich there is a slight difference between objects especially if there is a camera involved but not so much that you cant see them.

Alan

I suspect that Jupiter wasn't focused in the first place. I might be wrong but it's not the first time that a newcomer didn't realise that Jupiter is at best focus when at its smallest in the eyepiece. If this was the case, moving to the Moon the larger, brighter objefct would the reveal the out of focus spider vanes.  :icon_biggrin:

Yes this was the previous night  at about 10.30pm and yes i could see the spider vane, i understand jupiter is the largest planet but will not appear anywhere near the size of the moon as its much farther away, i will try focus tonight hopefully, it just didnt make sence how stars and moon where fine, 

Thanks

thanks to all for advice, my viewing of jupiter last night, i aint got the best phone so its not the best pic but i was over the moon pun intended (actually under it and to the left of it from my perspective) i think thats spica at top of image?

WP_20170408_22_52_54_Pro.jpg

Archived