Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar observing hoods. Recommendations or show us yours

spaceboy

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 14:03, spaceboy said:

So I figured it best to give a final update on my solar hood searching.

As regards the Telegizmo solar observing hood I personally feel there is no beating it for what it offers to your solar observing. Sadly due to unforeseen and quite frankly unfortunate circumstances it became apparent that it was not going to be suitable due to the size and weight of the hood. Having experienced the hood and the comfort it offered under the midday sun the idea of going back to hats, sheets or fussing getting garden umbrellas in just the right spot wasn't a welcome thought.

So it was back to the drawing board in an attempt to find something similar to the TG hood but much smaller and lighter. After a couple hours of searching the WWW. I came across an idea which I have hopefully improved upon. I will not find out for sure if it's going to be an ideal replacement until the weather breaks and the sun shows it's face one again...who knows when that will be :dontknow:

I purchased one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371932944224?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and ended up with this

IMG_20170607_172749.thumb.jpg.b63cb2a0eb865a34275c67549768264c.jpgIMG_20170607_172806.thumb.jpg.22c481fa6bca3d25e3e4024dddc9525c.jpg

First impressions are that I'm on to a winner. It is dead light, the material seems durable, size is perfect and due to the shape it fits over the head and drapes over the eyepiece perfectly. At only £6.99 delivered I feel it is worth the gamble and it if stops the sun scorching my head even better. The only doubt I have are that while the reflective side sure is reflective and should do a great job of diverting the suns heat etc, the black nylon material on the underside may encourage sweating while I'm under the hood? Oddly despite what the is originally designed for there does seem a degree of breathability and the hole in the centre should offer at least some sort of venting. Again first light will reveal if it's going to remain a DIY solar hood or be reverted back to a flash umbrella for my photography uses.

I will do a small review once I get chance to get out an try it.

After a break in the cloud yesterday I can confirm this is absolutely useless at keeping you cool :BangHead: perfect in every other way though so might be ideal for winter :icon_rolleyes: Either way it's back to being a studio umbrella for that and back to the drawing board for myself.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

After a break in the cloud yesterday I can confirm this is absolutely useless at keeping you cool :BangHead: perfect in every other way though so might be ideal for winter :icon_rolleyes: Either way it's back to being a studio umbrella for that and back to the drawing board for myself.

Nooo... Don't say that !! ?

Inspired by such a brilliant idea I coughed up the necessary "sick squid" and have one on order...

Maybe we'll have to adopt a "Rab C" style wardrobe beneath our respective shrouds...?? ?

7D8D0558-05EC-42D5-8C8E-760A4F20926E-7316-0000116BFC40C008.jpeg.38e6e69adb24b8e0754a390ead51cbf8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Racey said:

Nooo... Don't say that !! ?

Inspired by such a brilliant idea I coughed up the necessary "sick squid" and have one on order...

Maybe we'll have to adopt a "Rab C" style wardrobe beneath our respective shrouds...?? ?

7D8D0558-05EC-42D5-8C8E-760A4F20926E-7316-0000116BFC40C008.jpeg.38e6e69adb24b8e0754a390ead51cbf8.jpeg

It would work perfectly for night observing but during the day the nylon is sadly the heat trap I'd predicted. Great at blocking stray light and fit over the head perfect but just not as effective as the TG hood at keeping you cool :(

6 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

It would work perfectly for night observing but during the day the nylon is sadly the heat trap I'd predicted. Great at blocking stray light and fit over the head perfect but just not as effective as the TG hood at keeping you cool :(

What if you put two of them back to back, silver side outwards?

On 5/20/2017 at 07:40, Buzzard75 said:

So I was thinking about this. It's pretty easy for just about anyone to make with simple sewing skills. But my question is, why do you need two products? I understand that white on the outside is good for solar observing. But, does it have to be black on the outside for night time observing or would the one that's white on the outside serve the same purpose? And to that point, couldn't you just make it so it's reversible? Would white on the inside be bad at night?

Black absorbs light, so it makes it darker under the hood. Darker helps keep the aperture view brighter (brighter appearing at least), and makes your eye(s) dilate.

While the silvered outer side reflects the sun away, and the sun's heat. :thumbsup: Making it cooler under your hood.

No need to make it reversible. Besides, the silvered side would help deflect dew from you and the scope.

Like Stu, try different ideas with blankets/clothing to find what suits you. Then have Mum whip something up. Or have her help you Do-It-Yourself with her guidance for a bit of fun together. :wink2:

On the sillier side...

Just go wireless with the mount/telescope with a planetary (video) camera.

Then, sit inside (Camper, House), watching on a larger computer screen (32" Samsung), in the air conditioning (Perfectly comfortable), sipping a Pint (Boddington's in the cooler mates, don't swallow the widget).

Perfection!  :drunken_smilie:

6 hours ago, Stu said:

What if you put two of them back to back, silver side outwards?

I have another idea mate but need to find the materials. I know what they are used for but where I can find them for sale in the form I need them is a different story ???

On 6/10/2017 at 02:01, spaceboy said:

I have an idea of using two photography umbrellas and reversing the fabric so the shiny side is up, somehow. (Not sure I can reverse the spline holders yet.)

Then use them as shields with the aperture of the scope poked between the two at the bottom of the overlap.

I have some umbrella holders we have used at the soccer games, attached to our chairs or my tripod. So my thought is to mount the holders, to hold the umbrellas, with the shiny side up, to afford blackened shade upon me noggin and telescope.

Probably won't work, but that's my plan to try.  If nothing else, I can probably use the umbrellas in my gear. Two are on their way to my house. :laugh2:

Archived