Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar observing hoods. Recommendations or show us yours

spaceboy

I have a case of tennis elbow and I'm not helping it any by sitting with my arm up cupping my eye for 40 mins at a time solar observing. So I decided to look for a solution. There are the commercial and of course expensive solutions https://www.astronomics.com/solar-observing-hood_p20221.aspx and then there are observers DIY solutions http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/PSTEyepieceShield.htm but what do SGL member use and what other recommendations do you have.

FYI I have in the past used a T shirt pulled up over my head but even a black cotton shirt allows too much light through when observing in Ha and I could do with something that's thicker/darker but isn't going to cook me head like a bake spud on a camp fire.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of using a black cloth similar to those used in the early days of photography for night time observing to block out stray light; but you would certainly end up like a baked spud doing solar observing if you used that technique!:blob8:

What about a large  cardboard disk placed around the 'scope, just in front of the eyepiece?

46 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Wouldn't those silver blankets that marathon runners get wrapped up in after a race work?

Alan P.S. they are known as survival blankets lots on Amazon and very cheap.

I sometimes use one for around the scope to try and keep it cool when the sun is high and hot but they aren't actually that good at stopping the light getting through. 

38 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

hat about a large  cardboard disk placed around the 'scope, just in front of the eyepiece?

I have one of these which is superb http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/solar-observing-filters/telescope-shade/ac667.html They help give you all little refuge from sun on your face but they can't stop stray light getting in your eye as it's all around.

I may be a bit weird ( ;) ), but stick with me on this one.

I've started putting my head into the neck hole of a thick top from the wrong direction....... This then leaves your head inside the top...... you can then lift the bottom end of the top over the eyepiece and you find yourself at the eyepiece, surrounded by a very effective shade.

I have yet to work out how to take a picture of this hilarious scene.

Note that it is best to do this when close to the scope to avoid getting lost.

Be assured that you cannot see anyone else whilst doing this, so by definition they cannot see you ;) 

I use a thick white tshirt with just the neck  over my head and then the body draped over the scope focuser. The white also serves to help reflect the sun and keep me a bit cooler. 

Dont forget to cover skin though as it's easy to forget and burn a wrist or knee cap ☀️??

Tried using a dark hoodie but it's not quiet big enough, now looking for a monk's cowl (don't laugh) saw one of our religious gentlemen walking about with one on, you could hardly see his face because it was in so much shadow. Might be a bit hot in the daytime though

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've started putting my head into the neck hole of a thick top from the wrong direction....... This then leaves your head inside the top...... you can then lift the bottom end of the top over the eyepiece and you find yourself at the eyepiece, surrounded by a very effective shade.

Be assured that you cannot see anyone else whilst doing this, so by definition they cannot see you ;) 

Do you know what... If we all had to pay to be part of this forum, this post would be worth the subscription alone ???

29 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

I use a thick white tshirt with just the neck  over my head and then the body draped over the scope focuser. The white also serves to help reflect the sun and keep me a bit cooler. 

Dont forget to cover skin though as it's easy to forget and burn a wrist or knee cap ☀️??

Or feet if you wear sandals ?

52 minutes ago, Helen said:

Or feet if you wear sandals ?

Oh yes indeed Helen... Definitely protect the feet!! ? 

Amazing how sitting in the sun for an hour or two without moving much can result in some serious sunburn ??

Suncream and all exposed skin covered is a must. 

I have tried that one too. I can't remember se it any more because of my switch to binoviewers but as I recall it worked reasonable well. Still hard to get a total block out of the sun which you get with my other solution :) 

11 hours ago, Stu said:

This is exactly what I do with a T shirt Stu but have found even with a black T shirt your still getting a fair amount of stray light. I tended to stick with cotton though to keep cool so I'm sure something thicker would help with the stray light but then I'm not so sure I would enjoy the observing so much if the sweat is dripping off me swede like a freshly cooked boiled egg. There is also the issue of the thicker you go the more chance it's going to interfere with the scope creating vibrations and the like every time you move.

I would have thought there was some solution out there that offers breathability and a good amount of light blocking. Solar observing seems to have a fair few fans over the years and it's easily affordable with Baader solar film so I'm surprised there is only really one commercially available solar blanket.

Talking of blankets it's just made me think of those picnic blankets that have a foil backing on. I wonder if with a bit of tailoring if that would work? It sure would appeal to the Scottish observers with the whole tartan theme picnic blankets often come with :D They are often light but appear fairly thick and the foil backing should supress some heat from the direct sunlight. I think they can be purchased reasonably cheap also.

I use a large square of blackout curtain, not particularly comfortable and it catches any wind which tends to jog the telescope. It does however have a dramatic effect on the visibility of the fine visual detail.    :icon_biggrin:

35 minutes ago, Helen said:

I've got one of these en-route so I will report back and hopefully get some better photos of it :)

Up until now I do the same as Stu - hoody / fleece put on upside down / head first - trouble is I get stupidly hot and it's a bit of a faff trying to get the laptop underneath as well.

I wish I could bring myself to give up food shopping for the week to buy one but I just can't justify it for the little that must be involved to make such an item. I look forward to your review on it Grant all the same and hope it works out for you. It would be very interesting to hear if it's actually one of those picnic blankets I mentioned earlier :hiding:

21 hours ago, Stu said:

I think this is how this idea was born !!!!
I can imagine you Stu sitting there observing the sun and eventually getting a bit hot, so off the jumper comes .....but hey as you pull the jumper over your head it gets stuck and "sacre bleu"  you realise what a good shade it makes :happy8:

A similar thing happened to me whilst I was wearing my wife's black frock but I was too shy to post it at the time :happy7:

1 minute ago, spaceboy said:

I wish I could bring myself to give up food shopping for the week to buy one but I just can't justify it for the little that must be involved to make such an item. I look forward to your review on it Grant all the same and hope it works out for you. It would be very interesting to hear if it's actually one of those picnic blankets I mentioned earlier :hiding:

The TeleGizmos cover is definitely not a rebadged picnic blanket - it uses the same reflective material as the other TeleGizmos covers and is made by TeleGimos themselves. I've tried other things in the past but always found it hard to get the right mixture of black out material and coolness so hopefully this will be a winner - I will report back :)

I know the types of picnic blanket you mean though - I had one but found the material too stiff and thick for solar observing, worked great as a picnic blanket though :D

I like the look of these if the aren't going to cost an arm and a leg. post-16227-0-96548700-1413312121.jpg.ee4bdeaec788cd305bfa03d63c8356c7.jpg would do for the night also.....

Although thinking about it the have that very southern look about them and walking around with your refractor on an AZ mount loosely resembling a cross over your shoulder may well end up getting you in trouble

Archived