Narrowband

California Greetings (or, Hello from Pasadena!)

wulf

Hi all!

I'm a commercial illustrator at an ad agency — last year we rounded out a campaign for a space-themed movie and the production company sent us branded telescopes as "swag."  They were awful, practically kaleidoscopes for all their chromatic aberrations, but they reawakened in my soul a passion I'd neglected since childhood: optics!  So I've been inhaling every book and article I can find — Fred Watson's luminous Stargazer (how apropos), Henry King's fine-grain but slow-moving The History of the Telescope, and now the phosphorescent Amateur Telescope Making, Book One.

I've decided on an entry-level 90mm MAK, to start, and my question to you is this:

will reflex sights designed for firearms work on telescopes?  Or, asked another way, have such sights been tried?  The Telrad is slightly too bulky for my purposes.

Thank you!

Greetings and welcome to SGL, wulf, it's good of you to join us!

Two problems with your plan: 1. You'd only be able to get close to bright objects. 2. A Maksutov has a narrow-view (by design) making this even more problematic by virtue of the gun-sights not being adjustable.

If you told us more about your 'purposes' - perhaps we could come up with a viable solution. Finding answers is why we're here,

Dave

10 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings and welcome to SGL, wulf, it's good of you to join us!

Two problems with your plan: 1. You'd only be able to get close to bright objects. 2. A Maksutov has a narrow-view (by design) making this even more problematic by virtue of the gun-sights not being adjustable.

If you told us more about your 'purposes' - perhaps we could come up with a viable solution. Finding answers is why we're here,

Dave

Thanks, Dave.  (Hallo, Pondus).

My purpose is simply to equip the physically small telescope tube (~41cm long) with a proportionally not-giant reflex sight (in place of a traditional finder) as can by found on the picatinny rails of certain sidearms.  The included finder is a waste of metal and, echoing my prior complaint, the Telrad is far too large.

On 06/04/2017 at 04:29, wulf said:

[...]

will reflex sights designed for firearms work on telescopes?  Or, asked another way, have such sights been tried?

[...]

The short answer is "yes". As I understand it, before dedicated astronomical red dot finders became available, some astronomers adapted red dot sights from Daisy BB guns for astronomical use. Firearms sights have adjusters to permit "zeroing in" that you can use to align the sight with a telescope. However, some DIY is probably required to get something designed to fit a Picatinny or Weaver rail adapted to fit a standard Synta or other astronomical finder shoe and you might find the red dot a little too bright for astronomical use.

Archived