Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whistle stop planetary/lunar tour

Bobby1970

I don't do much purely visual observing really, but earlier in the week my boss was telling my how he bagged Mercury and after I had pointed out that I had never seen it I have not heard the end of it.......

Until tonight.

i got the little ST80 pointing west just after sunset, I knew I was up against it due to how low Mercury would be and the fences and houses of the neighbours getting in the way. I used an app on my phone in conjunction with my binoculars and sure enough managed to bag What I thought was the little planet. I double checked the app and viewed again with bins,  switched to the scope. It was undoubtedly Mercury. Half moon sort of shape obviously no features visible but good to see none the less. I used my 24-8mm zoom eyepiece and spent a good 20-30 mins following it until it went behind some houses. Really glad to have seen it finally. Just need to bag Neptune to complete the set now.

i move on to Mars and spent an enjoyable 10-20 mins on it. Again not much to see but I was still impressed with the little ST80.

next I moved the scope to get a view of Jupiter. I have seen it many times but it's always worth a look. Three moons visible and easily seeing north and south equatorial belts and possibly a hint of some fainter ones. Not sure if the red spot was visible so wouldn't know if I saw it or not, should check on an app,or something.

Finally a quick look at the moon, Copernicus Crater placed bang on the terminator was looking awesome so watched it drift through the eyepiece a good view times before putting the scope away and returning indoors.

A really enjoyable hour or so, all with my smallest scope which I think is brilliant. 

Just wanted to share. Thanks for reading. 

Nice way to spend an hour Bobby. I still don't think I've looked at Mercury through this anything more powerful than x15 binos, although I've seen it plenty of times. Must try harder!

I should probably have a go with my own ST120 really. But the 80 is a great little scope in my opinion and great for quick sessions like last night for me. I have it permanently on a Vixen Porta 2 so it's my grab and go set up. 

Set up with the Mak tonight and bagged Mercury again. Crescent shaped much more apparent. Seemed to take high mag pretty well too. Mars also looked good in the Mak even though it is very low. Definitely made out some blotchiness in the eyepiece. 

Archived