Narrowband

SGL 2017 Chit chat

cjdawson

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to having another go at some timelapse with my Canon 70d.   Rather than the kit lens, I've just received a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS lens.  Combining this with qDslrDashboard, should give me some interesting results :)

Hi all. I’m starting to put together an observation list of things I want try to observe when I’m at Lucksall, so with the help of my Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas I’m listing things that according to the colour grading system used on objects in the atlas should allow my to see them with my C8 SCT, which will be used on my Celestron NexStar items is below;

1. NGC7293 - Aquarius  7.6

2. NGC7009    7.8

3. M2    6.46

4. M72    9.27

5. NGC7371   11.97

6. NGC7585   11.5

7. NGC247 -Cetus   9.1

8. NGC246   10.39

9. IC1613   9.34

10. NGC253 - Sculptor   7.07

11. NGC488 - Pisces   10.26

12. M74   9.14

13. NGC524   10.36

14. NGC7331 -Pegasus   9.32

15. NGC7662 -Andromeda   8.3

I’ve listed the magnitudes of the objects as stated from Skysafari. Bearing in mind my scope has a theoretical magnitude limit of approx 14, if skies are good and dark is this realistic at all, especially the objects lower down towards the horizon, and lower magnitudes (9+)? A few of these objects I’ve seen already from my light polluted back garden so know that four or 5 objects in the list should be easily doable from there, but any thoughts on the others for people who have been there before observing?

PS. There will be more added to the list, but I won’t bore you with them all when I’ve selected them. ;) 

On 22/09/2017 at 13:29, cjdawson said:

Here’s a few things, and they are not big.

3.   Red fairy lights they throw out a huge amount of light and are cheaper that a red lantern

You do know that "Throwing out a huge amount of light" is a bad thing right?  It is DIM deep red light that helps preserve night vision. Bright red light is bad for your and your neighbours' the night vision.

There's some handy guidance on the use of red light at star parties on the SGL SP 2017 website.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

You do know that "Throwing out a huge amount of light" is a bad thing right?  It is DIM deep red light that helps preserve night vision. Bright red light is bad for your and your neighbours' the night vision.

There's some handy guidance on the use of red light at star parties on the SGL SP 2017 website.

Haven’t had any complaints at the last 2 Sgl parties.    I use them inside only, 

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:22, johnfosteruk said:

Would you like us to try and catch you or just wave goodbye?

Well if I am in my tent, that means it aint clear, which means everyone is probably drunk as a balloon :) . But if you catch me , you get derek randall's seal of approval :hal:

Picked up the last of my camping bits, including a nice warm sleeping bag, from Go Outdoors earlier on.

As suggested earlier in this thread, I'm just awaiting some red lighting gel to make my tent lanterns astro friendly.

Getting quite excited now and need to follow Gus's (@Knighty2112) example and get a target list sorted out.

Ade

For anyone who fancies a bit of a drinkie to keep out the cold, I'll be bringing a couple of bottles of home brew :) it's been standing for a couple of months so it should be well cooked by now... hic! 

A couple of glasses of that and you should be steaming...lol 

It really comes to something when a bunch of stargazers/astronomers are discussing what to wear!

One of my favourite aspects of this hobby is that I can wear what ever I like without comment or judgement.

I'm beginning to feel the presure building....

I do like the Scumbags T shirt though ?. My type of humour!

Paul

On 06/10/2017 at 23:41, Paul73 said:

One of my favourite aspects of this hobby is that I can wear what ever I like without comment or judgement.

which is precisely why I'll be wearing my klein bottle hat, that should take the pressure off you Paul.

Motorhome is now (hopefully) working properly again, so it's all fit and ready for SGL SP2017.  This month is proving VERY expensive for electrical stuff - washing machine, dishwasher, new car battery, new powerpack for scope, and now today >£200 for a new 230v to 12v charger unit for our motorhome.  Ouch! :-(

Archived