Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 2017 Chit chat

cjdawson

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back home yesterday after another fantastic SGL party. Third for me and first for my boyfriend. We thoroughly enjoyed it, the curry night, the hogroast and the clear sky. Autumn in Hereford is colourful and stunning, too.  

We didn't bring our scopes this year but wondered around the field on Sat night and had a lot to look at thanks to all the generous people around. The views from big scopes were truly amazing and breath-taking...

Already looking forward to the next event, and hope to see a lot of big Dobs again!

Oh....I forgot to mention Kyan the cat! @cjdawson She's absolutely adorable! Hope to see her again at next SGL!

IMG_20171014_043017resized.thumb.jpg.3121f36868a3eb6ce72f7fc1107018bb.jpgIMG_20171014_042825resized.thumb.jpg.fef350437bb8f388d50ab6ce690ebd73.jpgIMG_20171014_042236_resized.thumb.jpg.9fd97d755b68845f864c157c8d5672d8.jpg         Taurus/Orion/Auriga- Taken Saturday morning at around 4am, when it cleared up for an hour. (with my phone, Huawei honor 7, on super night mode, iso 800, 24sec).

Thanks to everyone that organised this star party. It was my first one (Virgin), and 1st time camping. Got to meet some very nice people, and had some great conversations.

Really enjoyed it, the quiz was a laugh. Funny how Astronomy and drinking ale seems to go hand in hand. :)

Cya all for SGL14. :headbang2:

As promised a list (in order of observation mainly) from Lucksall on mostly Saturday night, with a little from Sunday too;

NGC7293, NGC7009, M2, M72, M77, NGC488, M74, NGC524, NGC7331, NGC7662, M30, M57, M27, M31, M33, M110, Uranus, Neptune, NGC6992 (E.Veil) , NGC6960 (W.Veil), NGC6888, NGC404, M101, M76, M81, M82, M35, M36,M37, M56, Albireo, NGC6826, M71, M29, M15, M39, M42, NGC2392, NGC6818, NGC6543, NGC6979 (central Veil), M13, M92.

Highlights for me seeing the Veil in most of its glory. M42 also for the brief period I got to observe it before cloud cover came over showed plenty of detail. Nice to see the Milky Way again in all its glory. I convinced myself that I also saw NGC7000 (N.American Nebula) with the OIII filter, but rather than claim I did I’ll leave it open as it could be more wishful thinking than reality! Hehe! ;) 

Nice to see other fellow SGL’ers there, and hope to attend again next year, with better weather. Now I can’t wait for Galloway SP in March next year! :)  

This was my first star party and I had a wonderful time. Thanks to all those who were involved in organising it, and thanks to those who gave some wonderful talks.

I have a new found interest in the moon after @michaelmorris reminded me of loads of geology stuff that I'd long since forgotten. 

I'm also considering trying some time lapse photography as I already have the basics.

Thanks again, it was great to meet a nice bunch of like minded people.

Ade

6 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

I brought some old Patrick Moore memorabilia with me, and some other bits n bobs to share (halleys comet in 86) - (letters and stuff) .

Forgot and only got to show Steve as we was leaving.

Tempus Fugit.

Thanks for showing the memorabilia Rob, great stuff. This was my first star party and I had a great time, made some new friends and saw many things I couldn't hope to see from my light polluted back garden. Thanks to you and Tony for letting us see things through your monster scopes, awesome could not describe it.  Looking forward to the celebrations next Year! 

Steve

7 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

I brought some old Patrick Moore memorabilia with me, and some other bits n bobs to share (halleys comet in 86) - (letters and stuff) .

Forgot and only got to show Steve as we was leaving.

Tempus Fugit.

That’s a shame but there’s always next year. I won’t let you forget. ?

2 hours ago, Twisted Lip said:

Thanks to @daz and the admins for organising another great SGL :)

Yea thx Grant, and Michael, brilliant job . Especially Michael quiz master, was a nice ice breaker, and great fun. (off topic)  Funny I got my car washed before I came. Thought it would need washing when I returned, but it was still clean. Next day the sun looks post apocalyptic, and now looks like I been driving in the sahara. Was hoping to observe this weekend, but another is on it's way.

@john no worries m8, will do :) . @TrikeFlyer Yea, roll on SGL14

Archived