Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2017 Chit chat

cjdawson

7 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

Heya. Looking forward to this. My first star party AND camping trip. I have limited room in my car, so far I have 2 tents, 2 sleeping bags, 2 ground sheets. (And a 14inch dob, and celestron 9,25sct). Space is at a premium (I have an astra sxi hatchback) . I think this will fill my car, but I wanted to ask is there something absolutely essential I need. ( I assume someone puts up a lil coffee/water stall?). BTW I got winter sleeping bags.

Many thanks & Merry doo!

This site list quite a few ideas of the kind of things to take, although I doubt you would need everything in the list, some things like medical supplies (plasters, a bandage etc) are often overlooked. And how much entertainment stuff required is debatable too.

This is my first star party,  but not my first time camping. See you there! :)

https://www.pitchup.com/camping-checklist/

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have red film available, including some neat sticky stuff which works well on torches etc (multiple layers allows dimming too :wink: )  I'd be tempted to have both red light and white light available if possible.  Red for when it is clear and white for if it is cloudy.

Helen

I managed to pick up an excellent little USB-rechargeable lantern on Amazon that has a bright and dim white LED mode, and a red LED mode. I've wrapped a piece of a red gel filter around the thing, as even the red LED mode is rather bright.

I have a couple of dimmable LED lanterns that I picked up in Homebase last year. Covered them in red lighting gel (Lee 026). I also have a red / white head-torch (White LEDs painted out red) and a red / white Skywatcher torch.

May pick up another white lantern for cloudy-night use.

I have a couple of these for lighting in the tent:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/handy-heroes-orb-bulb-light-p321385

they have a couple of different settings and aren't expensive. Worth looking around if you wanted these as many places sell them and prices vary.

@Helen Where did you get your red film from? Will be useful to add some to my kit bag....

On 29/08/2017 at 12:31, michaelmorris said:

The AstroQuiz is now complete.   It will be 5 rounds + a picture round.  It will start immediately after the curry on Friday evening.  

As usual, the question masters decision is final (However arbitrary, biased or downright wrong I am). 

Due to recent changes in legislation, this year we have been forced to introduce a new open and transparent corruption rule 

Rule 1 - One point will be awarded to the first team to buy the question master a bottle of Teme Valley 'That' from behind the bar. :icon_biggrin:

Awesome :) Team scumbag t-shirt ordered, ready to defend the title ;):D

Oh just remembered.... does anybody have a leisure battery charger they can bring?

Im going to be in the position where I have to charge two batteries, (1x85ah, 1x45ah) and I'd like to be able to do them at the same time - but I only have one charger!

Cheers :)

6 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Oh just remembered.... does anybody have a leisure battery charger they can bring?

Im going to be in the position where I have to charge two batteries, (1x85ah, 1x45ah) and I'd like to be able to do them at the same time - but I only have one charger!

Cheers :)

Got a smart charger you can borrow Rob.

Dave

Here’s a few things, and they are not big.

1. Cable with sockets for the electric hook up (one with an rcd)

2.  A heater - electric fan heater 1k is plenty, but make sure to set up up safely.

3.   Red fairy lights they throw out a huge amount of light and are cheaper that a red lantern

18 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

OK, I arrive in Friday leave on Monday. I currently have 24 cans of Guinness ready to go.

Question is, do I need any more and, is there anything else I need?

YEEESSSS......you need another 24 cans of Guinness?

3 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

YEEESSSS......you need another 24 cans of Guinness?

Mmmmm Guinness ...... 

Good call for a star partly. Nourishing, happy hot or cold, not too gassy. 

Now that Local Government has signed off on the trip, I'm all booked up and getting thoroughly over excited already.

Paul

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:45, Mr Spock said:

OK, I arrive in Friday leave on Monday. I currently have 24 cans of Guinness ready to go.

Question is, do I need any more and, is there anything else I need?

More! More! This is illogical. Logic dictates that you need at least 240 cans.

(BTW thx for the replies for my query)

:headbang:

22 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Red fairy lights they throw out a huge amount of light and are cheaper that a red lantern

I hadn't even considered that option. Off to The Range this afternon I think.

I've found a couple of older (dimmer) whit lanterns so think I can get some red gel off ebay too.

Thanks for the ideas.

Ade

Tried out my old 4 man tent the other day and found it's no longer fit for purpose so now have got myself a 6 man Outwell Whitecove 6 tent on loan.

I can put it all together but can't get the loops upright on my own as the tent is too wide. :icon_redface:

Hope I can find a friendly neighbour at Lucksall to help get the tent hoops upright.

Just now, johnfosteruk said:

Depending on when you're arriving I'll help Ade.

I have a question, is anybody else taking non astro type spouses/partners?

Thanks John, I should be there early on Friday afternoon.

In answer to your other question my other half thinks I'm mad camping in mid October and said absolutely no way would she accompany me so I'm on my lonesome.

4 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks John, I should be there early on Friday afternoon.

In answer to your other question my other half thinks I'm mad camping in mid October and said absolutely no way would she accompany me so I'm on my lonesome.

Me/us too so can definitely help if nobody else gets to you first. 

Ref the boss I'm rather hoping somebody will give her a look through something bigger than my modest telescopes and wow her. 

I hope you all have fun, I have just had a thought on the 'not so bright' red light front that I wondered if it might be helpful.  Those chemical snap and shake lights that last for several hours come in all sorts of colours inc. red.  They are nowhere near as bright as LED's and I wondered if they might be of use?

7 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

I just bought a pop up tent. If I gets windy and you see something ghostly flying past with somewhat of a strange yell. Don't be alarmed, that's just me and my tent going for a ride in the wind.

Would you like us to try and catch you or just wave goodbye?

Archived