SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2017 Chit chat

cjdawson

Too early to start the banter?    NEVER.

After coming two the last couple of these. I'm up for it again, and am hoping that my outlay this time round is going to be megabucks cheaper.  Something to do not having to buy a caravan and kit it out this time :)  (first time, I hired a motorhome)

That said, of course, I've been spending cash again.   This time, I've gone out and picked up a table top gas BBQ.  So, if the weather is good, there's a chance of an outdoor cookup.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JOC said:

As an avid camper myself I have to wonder  if camping in October might be a bit 'brisk' I should think that camper vans/caravans would be nearly as bad.

Less so than early March I think/hope (there are multiple stories of snow and iced-up tents etc a couple of years back :rolleyes: ).  A tent heater and hot water bottle make all the difference.

Helen

4 minutes ago, JOC said:

As an avid camper myself I have to wonder  if camping in October might be a bit 'brisk' I should think that camper vans/caravans would be nearly as bad.

Just a bit foggy in October, snow a couple of years ago but it's nice and warm in my camper van.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The AstroQuiz is now complete.   It will be 5 rounds + a picture round.  It will start immediately after the curry on Friday evening.  

As usual, the question masters decision is final (However arbitrary, biased or downright wrong I am). 

Due to recent changes in legislation, this year we have been forced to introduce a new open and transparent corruption rule 

Rule 1 - One point will be awarded to the first team to buy the question master a bottle of Teme Valley 'That' from behind the bar. :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

The AstroQuiz is now complete.   It will be 5 rounds + a picture round.  It will start immediately after the curry on Friday evening.  

As usual, the question masters decision is final (However arbitrary, biased or downright wrong I am). 

Due to recent changes in legislation, this year we have been forced to introduce a new open and transparent corruption rule 

Rule 1 - One point will be awarded to the first team to buy the question master a bottle of Teme Valley 'That' from behind the bar. :icon_biggrin:

That'll be a point for whichever team I'm in.  It's already pre-ordered and will be nicely chilled :p

Think I'm going to need to put a new sign on my caravan this year.   "Beware of the Kitten"

I'm getting a kitten sometime in the next few weeks, and she'll be too young to be left.  I have no plans on putting her in a cattery for the week, so, I'm bringing her with me.

Say hello to Kyan.

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.30523446143a374ca4a1663b4ce9d9e6.JPG

2 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Think I'm going to need to put a new sign on my caravan this year.   "Beware of the Kitten"

I'm getting a kitten sometime in the next few weeks, and she'll be too young to be left.  I have no plans on putting her in a cattery for the week, so, I'm bringing her with me.

Say hello to Kyan.

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.30523446143a374ca4a1663b4ce9d9e6.JPG

Ah bless ?

2 hours ago, cjdawson said:

That'll be a point for whichever team I'm in.  It's already pre-ordered and will be nicely chilled :p

Oh dear, you have not ingratiated yourself with the Quiz Meister at all!!!!  Beer should be three things

1. brown
  2. flat
  3. warm (well, certainly not cold anyway)

cjdawson = nul points 

5 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Oh dear, you have not ingratiated yourself with the Quiz Meister at all!!!!  Beer should be three things

1. brown
  2. flat
  3. warm (well, certainly not cold anyway)

cjdawson = nul points 

Got it.    I'll ring the site in the morning so they can open the bottle and pour it into a glass.   That way, it'll have plenty of time to warm up, and make sure that it is flat as flat can be.   ?

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AstroGnome said:

I've even bought a new tent for the occasion. A monster of a bell tent. Party at mine Friday night. :drunken_smilie:

Me too after my dog 'accidentally' ripped my older tent with his paw when I set it up to check it out in my garden. :(

I'll make sure I bring some whisky for Friday night then to christen the new tent then!  ;) 

Yay!  new tents to christen.   Looking forward to meeting you guys.

For this year, I've just purchased one of these

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Optical Stabilised lens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003A6H27K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm hoping to some day-night time lapse.  With any luck, the F2.8 will give some fantastic results compared with the F4.5 of the kit lens that I have been using in the past.

Will be interesting to see if I can pull off the Holy-Grail using the kit that I have on my camera.

I'm planning to move out of my comfort zone and do some...shock, horror....visual :eek::evil4:.

Even worse, I may have a go at solar :eek:.

I'll bring my Megrez 90 for the solar work, ordering a Baader solar filter and continuum filter, and the Skymax 180 (Hoping for some input on collimating) plus an eyepiece or three for night time. Could use the meg for night too.

Maybe I'll bring the SSA with the camera kit for WF imaging.

Heya. Looking forward to this. My first star party AND camping trip. I have limited room in my car, so far I have 2 tents, 2 sleeping bags, 2 ground sheets. (And a 14inch dob, and celestron 9,25sct). Space is at a premium (I have an astra sxi hatchback) . I think this will fill my car, but I wanted to ask is there something absolutely essential I need. ( I assume someone puts up a lil coffee/water stall?). BTW I got winter sleeping bags.

Many thanks & Merry doo!

6 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

but I wanted to ask is there something absolutely essential I need.

I've never done a star party, but I bet there is plenty of sitting around done - I think I'd be inclined to put in a fairly comfy folding/collapsable chair.  What are you going to do for food - a plate/bowl/mug, and set of cutlery is no ill store - there's nothing like a wobbly plate when you are already out of your comfort zone (you note it is your first camping trip), you will want lighting in line with the requirements of star party, a wash bag - don't forget a towel (I've done that pain the neck if you suddenly decide you want to shower).  I've also camped at organised events and found plenty of use for a glass (acrylic or actual glass) there is something rather off-putting about swiging decent alcohol from a mug - are you going to boil your own water/will you need a stove and fuel?

I've got a quick question about lighting for the tent.

I think that I've got most things covered but am struggling to find a reasonably priced camping lantern with a red setting for the tent.  

I've found the Princeton Tec Helix BaseCamp lantern but at almost £50 that seems a bit steep. I was looking more around the £30 mark.

I had thought about a white light with red film taped around it, but most of the white LED lights seem to have retina searing light outputs which won't be dimmed much by red film and so will be just as annoying.

Does anyone have any recommenations or does everyone just tend to live with a red headlamp permanently attached to their head? 

Archived