Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two Comets in 15x70 Apollo Binos

I woke up just before 4am this morning and noticed a very clear and transparent sky. I decided to see how well I could observe the two Comets -  41P (Tuttle–Giacobini–Kresá and C/2015 V2 (Johnson)

Luckily I had left the reclining chair set up on the Patio so I took my Helios Apollo 15x70 binos to see how well I could view them. I knew the exact location of Comet Johnson having studied the star atlas and Stellarium the night before.

The Comet was visible as a hazy diffused object which clearly was in the correct location. Before going over to 41P I thought I would check a few galaxies to determine the quality of the sky. Firstly M51 (very clear) then the more difficult object (M101) and again very easy to see.

So starting at Thuban in  Draco I moved towards Ursa Minor and there is was - brighter than Comet Johnson - still diffused in the binos but clearly the Comet. Came indoors to check Stellarium which confirmed my observation.

So two Comets in one night with binoculars.

Excellent observation Mark. I think these two definitely need a reasonably dark and transparent sky. You may have read that I failed to see 41P Tuttle from home in the C925 with accurate GOTO; all down to the transparency and LP I think.

Anyway, great stuff, really rewarding to find them for yourself and in a nice relaxed way on the recliner :) 

Good report Mark :icon_biggrin:

I found 41P while out with my 130 refractor last night but it was not at all spectacular. Easy to overlook.

It's nice to have a couple that are reasonably well placed though :icon_biggrin:

Nice job Mark, early morning skies can be very clear - sounds like Johnson could be brightening a bit. By the way, you could have added a very easy third in Pegasus, Lovejoy the brightest of the bunch - a good excuse for for another early rise !

andrew

2 hours ago, andrew63 said:

By the way, you could have added a very easy third in Pegasus, Lovejoy the brightest of the bunch - a good excuse for for another early rise !

andrew

Thanks Andrew I will have ago at looking for C/2017 E4 (Lovejoy) - it is certainly low in the eastern sky. I might have a problem with the house in the way. I decided to update my database on Stellarium but the Comet is not mentioned!! However, it does appear on my Starry Night Pro software.

Well done Mark, I've imaged them both over the last couple of nights and was hoping for another go tonight but it's gone a bit cloudy, shame as it looks as if they will both fit in the FOV of a 70mm lens tonight.

Dave

Archived