Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SH2-224 with added rgb

ampleamp

Original attempt here - 

Through March I had an opportunity to add rgb which worked fairly well baring the top right quadrant of the mosaic where i lost nearly all the blue channel - not sure why. 

Here is my final version, I have had enough of looking at this for now but may return to it in the future when i get better at processing (I live in hope!). If anyone has a neat idea to reduce the green in the top right, I am all ears; no amount of standard process has reduced it beyond what you see here. I have tried to keep it relatively subtle as this is my first HaRGB but that will be for others to judge.

Thanks for looking

SH2-224.jpg

I agree with Jedi2014 that the black point could be lowered. That also reduces the problem with the green. I downloaded your image (hope you do not mind!) and had a go at mainly curves (all in PS), also reducing the leftmost (darker) part of the green curve. My intention being to get the red filaments to stand out better. I also reduced the stars a bit (using the Star Shrink filter from RC Astro for the bigger ones and the Make Stars Smaller in Noels Actions for the smaller ones, both in PS). Also did a bit of Increase Local Contrast (Noels Actions). Finally I suppressed the yellow saturation (the stars looked a bit too yellow up to the right). Here is the result.

ampleampSH2-224 PS2.jpg

Forgot about the green problem. Here I have tried to fix it in a simple way just using the lasso function (with 200 px feather) in PS to mark that region and then suppress the green curve there a bit.

Also forgot to tell you that I really like your data!

PS. I expect you could bring out some more details in the red filaments using some sharpening routines selectively with layer masks.

ampleampSH2-224 PS3.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, and Goran for your enhanced version. This is an incredibly faint object (Ha subs were 30 minutes at 2x2 though admittedly f.7) and i always felt that the Ha-only version was quite stark. I hope the colourised version has softened that somewhat.

Archived