Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LRGB Jupiter, Europa & shadow transit

Pete Presland

Almost a given that the conditions were great, that said it had improved a little as it got closer to midnight. It would be nice to go outside and have everything looking good just once! The transparency was good, but the image was very wobbly! Not sure how much was Jetstream and how much was local disturbance.

The usual set up C9.25/Asi120mm + x1.8 Barlow. LRGB image, 150secs per channel. Stacked in Autostakkert 2, Derotated in Winjupos, lightly processed in C/S2.

58e401720b6bd_2017_04_0222.47LRGB7.5mins.png.0939f63c11489ea7f94ab4a6cdc8b7f2.png

46 minutes ago, U Cyg said:

Nice detail in this one.

The seeing must have varied greatly around the country, my image taken at about the same time as this one has no detail at all!

Angie

The seeing was pretty bad when I first went out at 22:30, but improved quite a bit by 24:00. How much of this was down to Jupiter being at higher alitiude I am not sure.

47 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Lovely. When you say derotated, is this because Jupiter will have rotated? 

Yes that's correct. The total time for the image is 10 minutes so Jupiter would have rotated significantly. As you can see the slight misalignment of the shadow.

8 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Yes that's correct. The total time for the image is 10 minutes so Jupiter would have rotated significantly. As you can see the slight misalignment of the shadow.

I noticed that but thought it was maybe chromatic aberration or other optical artefact!

Archived