SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Playfair lunar crater. 3 April 2017

colin2007

Hi, this is my first sketch to be posted here on SGL and is the Playfair lunar crater in the Moon`s southern highlands.

Although I have sketched the lunar surface before, my attempts always ended up in the bin,I was never happy with what I achieved and really struggled to get it right. Suffering from a long term illness over the past few years ended up with me selling my 200p skyliner dob., because my illness was preventing me from observing. I had become too ill. Over Christmas I was hospitalised till the New Year and it was here that I decided to seriously knuckle down and get to grips with lunar observing and with permission from the Boss! also purchase another 200P scope by March (this is when I was fully recovered from a severe lung infection). Before you ask, these dobsonians are my favourite scope due to there ease of use and portability. I like anything that makes life simple and easy. When you are ill it is easy  to give up on things because you don`t feel up to it (I have long term cancer, which is stable and according to the Doctors  will enable me to have a reasonable long life, the only drawback is that I never feel 100% and at times can get very tired and weak )  but my resolve was to stop this from happening again without  pushing myself TOO hard but  stop letting this get in the way of my hobby.Using SGL I browsed  the topics and looked at other sketches, picking up tips  as I went along. Copying  lunar photographs also helped tremendously and I was surprised at how quick I got the feel for sketching the lunar craters.

Last night with a nice clear sky and the scope set up I scanned the Moon looking for an interesting lunar crater to sketch and liked the look of this one so spent a good one and half hours taking my time to sketch the object to my satisfaction. In fact I took so long  I could see that the shadows had moved so this was when I decided it was best to stop. Feeling fatigued too also helped in making my mind up.

Once indoors I used the Virtual Moon Atlas to identify the crater I had drawn and it was easily located and identified. Using the rough sketch from the previous night I re-sketched a  clean and neat copy for my records using cartridge paper and a set of HB pencils. This took about 2 hours to complete and I was very happy with the results. I would be quick to note that the sketch is not perfect, but it was also an ambitious first attempt that I am glad that I had a go at. Anyway  thanks for looking and I am always open to any guidance, tips,etc.

58e3f6136b9bc_Scan1.thumb.jpg.42cbb5024e3c9a1331dde3c6c641c2b3.jpg

Very nice style of presentation. I think all visual observers would benefit from taking up sketching to hone their abilities. I have tried on occasions but something seems to go wrong between my eye and my hand.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived