SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explore Sci 24/82 and 30/82 - Weight Issues?

I'm considering going for the 24/82 at least, but....

It would be the weight of an ES 24/68 (391g, which is fine) PLUS a large can of Heinz Spaghetti, and then a bit.

In the 8SE 2" diagonal (which of course doesn't move) it would be OK I'm sure, but what about in the Crayford on the ST120?  Would it cause excessive loading?

Also - what about the monster 1410g ES 30/82 in those 'scopes?

Anyone's experience here much appreciated.

Doug.

I guess it depends how well the crayford is adjusted Doug.

My heaviest eyepiece is the Ethos 21 which is 1021 grams and I've used that in a low cost chinese crayford that used to be on my 12" dob and it was fine. At least with your scopes the alt-az mountings keep the eyepiece / diagonal weight in broadly one direction. With EQ mounts it can point all over the place which I think causes more strain on the focuser.

I didn't realase that the ES 30/82 was as heavy as that - about 400g more than my Nagler 31 :icon_scratch:

Hi Doug,

I have an ES 24/82 eyepiece, known as the grenade.... and it does not cause any problems on my Altair Astro 115mm APO Refractor standard Rack 'n Pinion geared focuser.

Also have an ES 14/100 eyepiece, weighing in at 890 grams and no problem neither.

I have changed the focuser on my Orion Optics uk Reflector within the last 10 days, but have not tested it out properly yet (i.e. a night's gazing) done short tests during the day and the eyepiece seems to stay rock solid in the Baader SteelTrack focuser and the SteelDrive motor seems to cope with the weigh during these short tests. Only a long night with changing temperatures will really test it out.

Can you order clear skies for a few nights while I try it out?

Cheers

Adrian

I'd imagine it would be fine.   The focuser on the 120ST is a R&P type and considerably stronger imho that the friction Crayford focusers that I have on my 80ED and 120ED.   I use my 120ST typically with a Baader turret loaded with a 24mm ES68, 19mm TV Panoptic, 11mm ES82 and the 8.8mm ES82.  This I think comes to around 1kg total with a 1.25" diagonal.

Thanks all!  The ES 24/82 "grenade" looks like a "goer" then.

I wonder just what sort of amateur 'scope could handle the 1.41kg ES 30/82 "depth charge" without loading issues?

Doug.

(1.41kg figure obtained from data table on FLO's site:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html )

PS: Adrian - had a good night up here a couple of days ago, and the sky's nice and clear at the moment!

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

I wonder just what sort of amateur 'scope could handle the 1.41kg ES 30/82 "depth charge" without loading issues?....

This TMB 92mm refractor has a Feathertouch focuser, one of the best around. The eyepiece is a 3 inch (thats correct !) 30mm 100 degree and the diagonal is a 3 inch one as well - total weight of eypiece and diagonal = 3.25 kg / 7.16 lbs :shocked:

largeep.jpg

1 minute ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks, @Damo636 - very helpful!  So it looks like the 30/82 is also a "goer" at a mere 1035g!

Better start saving!

Doug.

When Damo reviewed the ES 30 / 82 and the Nagler 31 I seem to recall that he found they were both as good as each other. The ES 30 / 82 is a heck of a lot less expensive though !

1 hour ago, John said:

When Damo reviewed the ES 30 / 82 and the Nagler 31 I seem to recall that he found they were both as good as each other. The ES 30 / 82 is a heck of a lot less expensive though !

Indeed John, at this focal length I found the ES 30 82° offered some exceptional bang for buck. 

Archived