DSO - M48

Date - 02/04/17

Time - 22:45

Lunar Phase - First quarter 38%

Seeing - good

Equipment - Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Eyepieces - Televue Ethos 13mm

Additional info - 

As the title suggests it was First Light for my ethos 13mm and this occasion warranted a sketch to cement the night in memory.

I decided on M48 an open cluster in Hydra which was positioned really well for me to observe and almost filled the massive FOV of the ethos with stars.

There was a rich variety of stars of different brightness and colours in this pretty big open cluster I spent a good hour sketching.

The EP was a joy to use and the detail allowed me to put everything in this sketch enjoy.

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

IMG_5486.JPG

• Like 7

I agree it's a nice sketch of the stars, your cluster has 2 distinctive triangles which is a nice feature for a cluster. I like when they have characteristic features like that and Hydra if a fascinating constellation too, nice place to go on a trip.

Also congratulations for your new Ethos 13mm wow! you are lucky to own one of those. (:

• Like 1

Thank you Marios and Neptune, I was very pleased with this sketch considering the close proximity with the moon.

Yes there were very distinctive shapes which was lovely to observe ?

Im still over the moon about owning one it took a bit of luck to get one and selling a pretty good EP in the bargain but I made the right choice ?

Richard

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By imtl
      I have a Televue Ethos 10mm and 6mm for sale. 450GBP each. 
      In pristine condition with boxes and end caps.
      Cheers

• By melsmore
      First the disclaimer. This is my first attempt to sketch Mars, or indeed any planet. Also, it started to rain and I had to abandon it with some urgency (hence no orientation marker). I used a HB pencil and a blending stump. But I think I can see a couple of features that match Ade Ashford's app.
      The Wratten 21 filter improved the view enormously (although you may find that hard to believe looking at the picture) helping show the surface detail and improving the seeing. I tried it the day before in my 80mm refractor, but that just made the image too dim, but on the 115mm it was very good, so I recommend it to anyone with 115mm or larger.
      I tried sketching the moon (Plato) several years ago, but SWMBO pronounced it (I'll paraphrase her here) more Feline Anatomical than Selenographical. While this one may look more like a two year's old attempt at drawing a rabbit, at least no one can confuse it with the rear end of the cat. So regardless of the criticism I receive here, I'll give it another go tonight (weather permitting). 🧐

• By JackCooke
      A quick sketch from the 1st September (sorry - date is wrong on the image). 
      M15 was still fairly low in the east but the central condensation of stars really stood out, even in a 5.5inch scope. The bright field star intruding on the edge of the image was distracting. If I had a tracking mount I'd have banished it permanently!
      A lot of the extended GC was on the threshold of vision and the resolved stars faded in and out. 
      M15 will always have a special place for me as it was the first GC i ever saw 😍 
      Thanks for looking. 
      Jack

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      these days we have a sunny and hot summer over here. Today I tried to capture the "aura" of the sun caused by some dust in our atmosphere when doing the pastel sketch of the H alpha solar disc. I spent almost half an hour with the solar disc and its aura and then just 15 minutes for the proms and filaments. So here's the result:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: June 26th, 2019 /1030-1115 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on black Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      this morning, I woke up because of lightning and thunder here in Dusseldorf area.  After the thunderstorm had moved away towards northeast- and before the next bunch of clouds appeared, I enjoyed the sunshine on the home terrace. To maximize my joy, I set up the H-alpha-telescope to have a look at the solar "weather". 
      This time I once again chose natural vine charcoal which is made of the very same atoms than the solar nucleus: carbon. The prominence on the top limb of my sketch was pretty tricky to sketch its set of needle-sharp "rays" in front of the foggy background. Let me share this sketch here as my second contribution to the solar imaging challenge:

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: June 3rd, 2019 / 1000-1030 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Size: 24x31cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.