Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Ethos 13mm First Light!!!

Finally I got my hands on one of these eypieces pretty much by accident but a happy one ?

Build Quality

The quality of the eyepiece is top draw as I'm sure you would expect it's very solid and doesn't feel like you would drop it because of the grip round the middle.

The lense is huge which you would expect because of the FOV this eyepiece provides.

The bottom of the EP has both fitting for 1.25 and 2 diagonal sizes if needed.

Session

So the session began for me as it always does I setup my Celestron Nexstar 6se then align the scope using my ES 68.

My first target had to be the moon I excitedly put the EP in the diagonal and peered through... I could say peered but that wouldn't be right I literally fell into the EP my feet left the ground and I was gliding above the moon.

It was simply jaw dropping for me how detailed the moon looked I've never seen such colours and shadows on the terminator the detail of the mountains and craters far exceeded my very high expectations.

The ethos gives of a slightly different colour for the moon then my ES 68 does maybe slightly cooler almost which I really liked.

I also tried the ethos with my Vixen 2x Barlow on the moon and it was just as good at 13mm.

Onto Jupiter which was just above the horizon by this time I eagerly punched in the coordinates then pressed my eyeball against the huge lense... straight away 4 moons were visible and the equatorial belts and for the first time for me the north/south polar regions.

At this point the wife joined me and I showed her Jupiter and she quickly commented on the moons and the belts  she usually struggles finding.

Then she commented on how clear and big the view looked.

The detail again was incredible it was like I was observing in 3D.

Finally I decided to have a quick look at a few DSOs.

Orion Nebula was a treat a day always even with the moon almost directly overhead I could make out the cloud of dust surrounding the closely compacted 4 stars and a trail of dust trailing almost as good as last week with my Pentax Zoom and no moon.

I then decided as a final observation to try for an open cluster and of course get my sketch book out to have a memento of the night.

I decided on M48 which had a beatiful array of stars over most of the massive FOV.

I spent a good hour sketching and still marvelled at the crispness of the FOV all the way to the edge.

Conclusion 

I'm very pleased with how the EP performed in all areas of my observations.

But I'm not fussed about specifications the moment I was sold was when I looked at the bottom of the EP and got that feeling of falling in complete immersion whatever you want to call it that was priceless and I will never forget that first time.

So no regrets buying the EP and I can't wait for many more falling/immersive moments.

Here are some photos and the sketch of M48 enjoy and if you can buy this eyepiece ?

Clear skies ??✨??

Richard

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful that the Ethos did the trick!

Some people report feeling dizzy as the view sucks them in!

Hope that you have deep pockets. I don't know anyone you managed to stop at one.....

Paul

Cheers Paul I was hoping to stop at one, im going to have to do some soul searching haha ? 

Thank  you Mike for the brilliant ethos I was going to message you this morning about my first session with it and as you can see I'm more happy thanks again ?

Richard

21 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Cheers Paul I was hoping to stop at one, im going to have to do some soul searching haha ? 

Thank  you Mike for the brilliant ethos I was going to message you this morning about my first session with it and as you can see I'm more happy thanks again ?

Richard

A Good Home. Enough said.

:icon_biggrin:

37 minutes ago, iPeace said:

A Good Home. Enough said.

:icon_biggrin:

Good point. That is the nice thing about selling kit to SGL members. You know that it will be appreciated. And, it is great to read about it's exploits with the new owner.

Paul

15 minutes ago, estwing said:

Only just started using the 13E after 2yrs of solely observing with the 21E ....then along came the 8mm ethos which for me and my scope works better..enjoy 

I succumbed to the Ethos in the order 13-8-6-21-4.7-3.7 :rolleyes2:

37 minutes ago, estwing said:

Only just started using the 13E after 2yrs of solely observing with the 21E ....then along came the 8mm ethos which for me and my scope works better..enjoy 

13mm is the ideal mag for my scope, so this ethos is the sweet spot for my scope.

But I would be lying if I wasnt already considering a 8E ?

Richard

19 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Richard an enjoyable read. I had a 13mm Ethos and sold it about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago I realised that I made a bad mistake so I bought another. Fantastic eyepiece.

Doesn't surpirse me Mark, I've tried enough eps to know that you just don't get that same feeling with other eps... the falling in feeling ?

Richard

I kind of wish that I had got the 13mm instead of the 17mm as it is a little close to my 21mm, not that I can complain really :dontknow: It does work wonderfully great on clusters.

2 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Luckily I'm limited to 1.25 barrels so my options are at least a little limited, it's just if funds allow ?

Richard

That's nothing a 2" Evertbrite  couldn't fix :hello:

Nice report Richard.  I'm ever more tempted by top-of-the-range EPs!

I would recommend the upgrade to an 8SE - I love mine.  Recently had really stunning lunar views.  And it is very easy to carry, set up, move about.  I had considered an 11" Cat, but for a bigger aperture I'll eventually go for a Dob and a shorter FL.

Doug.

I can remember when we viewed at Winscar that time Richard.

You had mixed feelings about the 100deg field due to not being able to see the field stop and a concern about a curved field too.  This was probably because of the lack of familiarity for such a wide view.

I'm glad you have finally taken the plunge and found the benefits of these totally immersive eyepieces.

The 13E is the most used eyepiece in my case spending near on 90% of the focuser time in my scope giving me approx 168x. I could live without the others as this gives great contrast when at a truly dark site.

Enjoy it as it's a portal to the depths of the universe in HD :thumbright:

Archived