Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn and moons from Western Australia

Aussie Dave

Saturn from last night. A 6 minute video was taken around 4am with the ZWO ASI224MC in SharpCap and Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT with focal extension tubes.

PIPP used to get the best 3000 frames and arrange in quality order, stacked 600 of the best frames in Autostakkert with 1.5x Drizzle, waveletts in Registax and final edit in PaintDotNet. To reveal the moons which were not visible I bumped up levels to lighten the background, then magic wand each moon, cut them out and paste each one in to a copy of the original image. I think I have 4 of Saturn's moons which is a first for me.

58e29167b4b00_Drizzle15_02_59_47_pipp_g3_b3_ap6SaturnZWOASI224MCFinal.png.ec7ead7a6dc20429b3916b9a27e49d8b.png

1 hour ago, Aussie Dave said:

Just out of curiosity, when will you get Jupiter and Saturn in the Northern Hemisphere?

Dave both Jupiter and Saturn are visible in the UK. Unfortunately the Declination is now negative so the Planets appear low in the Sky. I am not sure of the exact date when they go into a positive Declination but its around 2023 I think.

38 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Dave both Jupiter and Saturn are visible in the UK. Unfortunately the Declination is now negative so the Planets appear low in the Sky. I am not sure of the exact date when they go into a positive Declination but its around 2023 I think.

Ye Gad! That is a Long wait. So I guess I'd better make the most of it while they're around here.

Thanks all. I'll keep at it.

On 04/04/2017 at 17:33, Mark at Beaufort said:

Dave I checked this out further and I think Jupiter is 2022/23 and Saturn is worse at around 2026. Perhaps I should make that visit to the Southern Hemisphere.

On 04/04/2017 at 17:47, Grotemobile said:

Hi Dave. That is a real cracker. :thumbsup: Well done.

Rubbish here @ the moment. Need to come

over to sunny side. were U live.

On 04/04/2017 at 18:59, Owmuchonomy said:

Mark is right.  About 6 years for Jupiter and 11 years for Saturn before things improve significantly!

Any AP folk are welcome here.

I can't believe this. So when everyone up there gets it high in the sky it will be rubbish here for as many years before their return to good viewing? I don't like the sound of that. I'll have to get as many captures in as I can, while I can.

18 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

Thanks all. I'll keep at it.

Any AP folk are welcome here.

I can't believe this. So when everyone up there gets it high in the sky it will be rubbish here for as many years before their return to good viewing? I don't like the sound of that. I'll have to get as many captures in as I can, while I can.

Not so. The altitude of the ecliptic and thus planets depends upon your local latitude/season and proximity to the equator. It's just that Saturn for example is for the next 10 years hovering around areas that are low in the sky for us at 54 degrees latitude. If we were at 30 degrees latitude then Saturn would be 20 degrees higher in the sky.

Archived