Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monocular required......

swag72

Having been on a longish walk this morning with the best ever conditions I have seen, I would have loved to have had something to look through across the vast plains and to the mountains...... I never take binoculars with me..... too cumbersome. So today I decided that a collapsible spotting scope (imagine a Captain on a ship!!!) would be ideal..... In a small pouch it would fit on my belt and would be easy and more to the point I'd take it and use it.

So... the question..... can anyone recommend a collapsible spotting scope? Or a small monocular :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swarovski make a collapsible one but no doubt the price will be ridiculous. Bushnell also make a a collapsible scope. Haven't tried either but we have had a bushnell range finder and binos for one of our other hobbies (?) although we have now changed these to Leupolds.

The other suggestion would be a compact as opposed to collapsible spotting scope. These ones get fairly good reviews (better than the bushnell) but again we haven't tried either as we use our current spotting scopes on tripods.

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/opticron-gs-52-ga-ed45-travelscope.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YY09FI/ref=as_li_tl?tag=optden-21&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000YY09FI&linkCode=as2&linkId=SXUDU2E2PH7YGJ24

15 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Celestron Hummingbird spotting scopes are pretty small apparently. Maybe one of those might do instead?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-spotting-scopes/celestron-hummingbird-7-22x50mm-ed-micro-spotting-scope.html

I think I'd rather a straight one, as they would be more pocket friendly.... Looks good though

8 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

Swarovski make a collapsible one but no doubt the price will be ridiculous. Bushnell also make a a collapsible scope. Haven't tried either but we have had a bushnell range finder and binos for one of our other hobbies (?) although we have now changed these to Leupolds.

The other suggestion would be a compact as opposed to collapsible spotting scope. These ones get fairly good reviews (better than the bushnell) but again we haven't tried either as we use our current spotting scopes on tripods.

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/opticron-gs-52-ga-ed45-travelscope.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Minox-16-30x-Waterproof-Spotting-Scope/dp/B000YY09FI

Would rather a 'straight' monocle - Perhaps I need a monocle rather than a spotting scope.

I have a Helios 10x24 and a Russian 8x30 monocular, both were inexpensive and give good results, specially the 8x30. I've had them for some years now so don't know if they are still available. There are some more expensive models currently available which I would presume to be at least as good if not better.  :icon_biggrin:

If you are looking for a really tiny every-day companion, that fits on your belt and into every pocket, how about this foldable 8x21 monocular:

http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/compact-binoculars/prod/docter-8x21-c-mono.html

It's a successor of the famous Zeiss Turmon (built first 1921), has excellent optics, weighs less than 100 gr.,and is a joy to use even when looking at the night sky (could spot M 33, M81 and some globulars with it).

Stephan

Checking out the specs, of the three I would have gone for the Minox. Minox items are usually of high quality so should compare favourably with the more famous alternatives. The compass is a nice touch but the only caveat I have is the mention of a fine graticule, if this is part of the optical system it may well always be superimposed on the view and could be distracting/irritating. I think my Russian monocular cost me about £10.  :icon_biggrin: 

Here's a rather detailed review of the Docter 8x21:

http://www.opticsreviewer.com/docter-monocular.html

My observing notes from July 22, 2015 (SQM-L 21,02, NELM 5.5 mag): Very good impression, bright and very sharp field of view. Had a look at M 30, M 31, M33, double cluster, NGC 7000, and finally M81/82! A lot of fun; well- it's a Zeiss quality build.

Hope this helps

Stephan

What put me off the Leica, apart from the price! was that the only recommended uses were for sport and theatre, neither of which you will expect to witness whilst out on your walk. It did not seem to offer any advantage over the other two options despite being much more expensive.   :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, swag72 said:

Brilliant thanks both Peter and Stephan....... Neither of you have helped though as I was thinking of the Leica's :D 

Just finalising this in case anyone is looking for something similar.

In the end I went for the Leica 8x20 Monovid as they are light and easy to carry around my neck. They are really clear and the views are excellent. I thought that the Monocular was a little odd to start with, but I cup my right hand around the eye cup, push it against my eye socket and that makes it really steady. I can also keep both eyes open and just see through the Monocular eye...... I'm really pleased with my purchase! It also comes with a close up screw in lens so great for looking at plants etc close up.

I have used a Russian MN2  8x30     ( the N looks more like an upside down capital letter U )   for over twenty years now. 

Although it is not classed as waterproof,  it has been boating,  fishing,  up several mountains and hiking in all weathers , and the optics are clean and bright still. 

Apart from cleaning the outside surfaces of the eyepiece and objective, the only maintenance it has had was to remove the eyepiece , clean and re-grease the focussing threads with a dob of Vaseline.      That was because  I got a bit of sand behind the skirt of the eyepiece.

They used to sell at a quite a reasonable  price when I bought it.   A quick look at second hand ones on ebay show anything from 27uk pounds to over 50 uk pounds.

The lens coatings, paintwork and leatherette covering have stood up to the test of time better than some other binoculars that I have had. 

If you do not mind second hand ,  I would well recommend one based on my experience with mine.

Archived