SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I just had my first look at the comet, took at least an hour for me to find. It was to the left of the star Thuban which i located then using averted vision I could make out a smudge which must have been the comet. I used my skywatcher 130p and 25mm eyepiece. There is light pollution around but it isn't too much. I would love to get a picture of the comet but using my Alt-Az mount i believe it would be near impossible (if you have any secrets let me know ;)) I spent a good half an hour looking at the comet trying to make out the shape. I'm happy that i finally found it and good luck to everyone else if your still trying to find it :) 

Even though an image taken from a AltAz-mount may depict the sky's rotation, I'd do it anyway. Why? Because the 'smudge' the comet would make - when compared to the movement of the more-concise star - would provide an interesting study of contrast between the two different types of objects you'd be depicting.

"That's my story - and I'm stickin' to it!" (Vermont colloquialism)

Dave

58e1a0fca5762_Comet41P-Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak.thumb.jpg.4675b382e28786fcad4a7093d84ad436.jpg

You could capture the image using a static tripod and cam and say 50mm lens take lots of short exposure images and stack them using DSS. I used my tracking altaz virtuoso mount and took this comet 41p using camera and 135mm lens. It was 19 lights of 30 seconds, bias and flat files. Try your telescope your hardest problem with be the 130p may not reach focus with a camera so use the mount with a camera and camera lens instead.

Autosave002 v1.png

5 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Try your telescope your hardest problem with be the 130p may not reach focus with a camera so use the mount with a camera and camera lens instead

After trying different methods to try and focus my camera with the scope, I found that using my x2 barlow I am able to reach a sharp focus.

Archived