That sinking feeling...

frugal

... when you realise that you turned on Mirror Settle in the software, but you have not turned it on in the camera. So for the last hour and a half the software thinks it has been taking 5, 10 and then 15 minute exposures; but the shutter was only open for 2 seconds at a time...

I could not figure out why the histogram in SGPro was so narrow. I thought, my skies can't be that dark all of a sudden, so I increased the sub length from 5 min to 10 min to 15 min, to no avail. Then a memory slowly rose up from the depths of my mind: mirror settle needs to be turned on in software and hardware or it doesn't work... As I did not want to mess with the camera settings in the dark, I turned it off in software, and lo, 15 minutes later: M101 in all it's glory.

Of course, to cap it all, the guiding tonight has been the best I have ever acheived; shame it wasn't taking any images whilst it was doing it ;)

At least I managed to add some more data to the image from a while ago. Still not happy with it (noisy uneven background; stacking lines down the left hand edge; over processed the edges of the galaxy etc), but it is getting there. I think I am at least getting to know how to get the best out of the kit.

33682923411_7aa1012312_c.jpg

M101 by frugal10191, on Flickr

Archived