Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mixed Session: Fabulous Moon, ISS, And Mercury

MOON

7.40 - still light - Moon waxing, near first quarter - lovely views of crater Posidonius, Mare Serenitatis (with two clear ridges, and crater Bessel near the terminator), crater Atlas with a central peak, crater Hercules with a craterlet, Lacus Mortis (Lake of Death, if my Latin is any good) plus crater Burg and Rima (rille) Burg like a hairline crack.  I had this last target at x406, but it drifted a little as the 8SE was not on lunar tracking.  Otherwise I used x303 which gave sharp views, albeit susceptible to shaking.  I then dropped the mag to x203, and the views of the region were sharper, brighter, and really quite stunning.  Detail was very clear, and shakiness less of an issue.  The S&T Moon Map was an invaluable aid in identifying all these features as they were seen.

8.20 - Sirius and red Betelgeuse came out to play at dusk as a bat flew overhead between gardens.

ISS

Thanks to Stellarium where I spotted the forthcoming passing of the station, sure enough it appeared at 8.25 moving steadily east.  It was a bright spot, which in binos was clearly not spherical.

MERCURY

Then off to the west coast about an hour after sunset to try for Mercury again.  Too much cloud last time, so I was yet to see it at all apart from in last year's transit.  I gauged Mars to be at about 18 degrees, and Mercury - a bit further west - at 6 degrees.  Stellarium later confirmed this data.  The view in binos was not great, and there was some low cloud.  I couldn't make the phase out, but at least I definitely saw it - the first time I have knowingly done so!

Back in the garden, I had hoped to try for some galaxies around Virgo, but the Moon put paid to that plan!  Still - a good session with pleasing, interesting, and some new targets.

Doug.

Nice work Doug. Well done mate! :) I managed to spot Mercury briefly before it dipped below the roof line after sunset. I managed to see Vesta again for the third night in a row too to track it through Gemini. Then had a gander at the moon around the area of Celsius near the terminator which looked interesting. Hoping to have a quick look at Jupiter if the clouds allow before I go to bed. 

6 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Doug. Well done mate! :) I managed to spot Mercury briefly before it dipped below the roof line after sunset. I managed to see Vesta again for the third night in a row too to track it through Gemini. Then had a gander at the moon around the area of Celsius near the terminator which looked interesting. Hoping to have a quick look at Jupiter if the clouds allow before I go to bed. 

Thanks, Gus.  It's interesting how things turn out, with occasional poor sessions, then good ones to compensate!  How hard it all must have been before Stellarium and the like.  I've now seen all the planets, so - as you've done - shall try for an asteroid next.

Doug.

Nicely done Doug. Mercury was a whole lot lower than I expected so I had to get it in the binos in the gap between two houses.

Lovely earthshine showing on the moon in the binos, terminator looking very sharp and detailed too.

7 minutes ago, Paz said:

Nice report, and nice to have low horizons for mercury spotting.

Thanks, Paz.  Yeah - a short drive to the coast gives good westerly views over the sea.  Next time I might take the frac to get a decent view and clearly see the phase!

Doug.

Archived