Narrowband

Binoviewers vs Mono viewing

GavStar

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found that 3 glasses of plonk helped unmerge the images and then merge them again in rapid succession. A 4th glass gets you a full bino scope ie: double vision. Never got to the 5th glass level :happy8:

1 hour ago, John said:

I found that 3 glasses of plonk helped unmerge the images and then merge them again in rapid succession. A 4th glass gets you a full bino scope ie: double vision. Never got to the 5th glass level :happy8:

I think it was the 3 glass level last night John! If clear tonight I may have to try the zero plonk option 

58 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I am sure it's nothing serious Kerry, you just need to get the knack.

I hope you are right Shane although clearly there are some observers that don't. I shall give it a fair go with various scopes and see how it goes. 

Kerry,

Merging the imagings with binoviewers is more difficult than binoculars, I rate myself as slower learner in this aspect, it took me a 5-6 sessions before methodically tried to follow the steps:

1. Be seated comfortably! take your time to set tripot/seat so that you can seat comfortably.

2. Use the longest focal length EP pairs your have.

3. try to find optimal spacing for your eyes, look away from binoviewer once in a while to get relaxed eyes when you get merge/unmerge views.

It's just a learning curv, I'm sure you'll get it soon. I have not seen ONE unmerged image in my binoviewer for a long long time, even if I was standing most of the time.

Checking binoviewer's collimation:

As I've read, it's neither extremely difficult or demanding:wink: Just take out the EPs, looking at the Moon (or something of the same 0.5° angular size) from the wrong end (with one eye of course), if the collimations is not off by 0.25° (halv Moon size), or even 0.5°, then, the collimation is OK.

Great advice Yong.

I recently used some 40mm Plossls in my BV to observe in Ha. I found it very difficult initially to get the interpupil distance correct and to find the right position for my eyes relative to the exit pupil. Eye relief is long with these eye pieces, especially given the Barlow factor extending it from standard.

Initially I just couldn't merge the images, but with careful experimentation I got it right, finding the correct place is much easier now.

So, with the barlowed longer focal lengths, getting the interpupil distance right, and holding your eyes a little way away from the eyepieces definitely helps you get correctly positioned.

One more thing, I usually observe with glasses on, even with binoculars, but when I had difficulty in merging images in binoviewer, I found the frames of my glasses kept popping into the view, kind of distracting, so I tooking glasses off. Nowdays, glasses off is my standard procedure:wink:

Archived