SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best way of aligning and controlling scope remotely

I have my 127 SLT setup in a mini observatory for last 6 months but never used as frustrated in getting nexremote to work properly as well as cameras (although today I finally pulled my finger out and have found out it's the Intel nuc / windows computer that has the issues rather than the mount)

I want to be able to remotely align and control the mount remotely. I currently have the serial cable plugged in to the handset (which has worked ok in past at old house)

I have a 224mc connected to the scope, and a 1100d piggy backing on top, as well as a ps3 eye cam on the guide scope all connected to the PC. I was planning on using the dSLR at 100mm FL in conjunction with the 3 star auto alignment to get things rolling but so far it's just been frustrating (plus I'd need to manually adjust the zoom lens to 200mm+ and focus again once aligned for the target defeating the purpose of me controlling it remotely. Which brings me on to my next frustration of not getting stellarium to place nicely with my scope. Haven't managed a single image this year. Manual alignment using eyeball mk1 is impossible because of where the scope is positioned.

I've looked at starsense, but am i right in thinking this doesn't work with PC control / nexremote? I then looked at the celestron WiFi dongle thing but it's over £100, then read today that sky safari with a Bluetooth adapter (£25 from amazon) can control my scope although i still need to align it first.

Is it possible to use star sense and skysafari / Bluetooth adapter? Is it as accurate as a manual 3 star align?

What other solutions are there? I just want Alexa to open my observatory (the only part that does actually work) resume from park mode, have it auto align, and then hand over slew control to either my android phone or pc, i select a target, check focus and adjust with the raspberry pi and then start imaging, all while sat in my pants on the sofa.

I have used raspberry pi with indi at the mount side, and ekos/kstars as client to control my sw az-eq6 and guider. It works great. The only reason I can't fully use it is that my imaging camera won't connect to a computer anymore. (To old, usb not working)

The only cost of this solution is a raspberry pi and an eqdir cable.

There are several video tutorials available from indilib.org

Hope this helps

Archived