Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
DeepSkyMan

Attaching Altair TMS Ultra Light Guide Scope Rings to an 8" EdgeHD

Hi there, I am contemplating getting an 80mm scope to replace my existing 9x50mm RACI finderscope.  However this got me thinking about how to mount the 80mm scope onto the Edge.  Dual dovetail plates are out, because I use a Kendrick ZapCap and I don't fancy cutting a section out to accommodate another dovetail bar.  I really like the look of the Altair Astro ultralight guidescope rings.  Has anybody ever mounted these to an SCT using the existing attachment points on the rear mirror cell?

IMG_0231.thumb.JPG.32e1589e027cdee3d633b210e2861371.JPG

Those guide rings look very smart, but with sensitive guide cameras these days, do you ever need to adjust them? 

I use a 60mm guidescope on my 9.25 attached to the original dovetail with small guide rings attached to a Losmandy clamp.

Guidescope.thumb.jpg.56e1a9f2b72738812919e3d74122ff26.jpg

Thanks for your feedback AKB, however I would be using the scope as a finder rather than as a guide scope, so the setup you have wouldn't work for me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spider-Man
      Hi, I'm keen to buy a small good quality refractor primarily for astrophotography of galaxies and nebulae.   I'd like to use my Pentax K1 full frame DSLR with the telescope.
      Reviewing YouTube & Google the; Altair Astro 72 EDF deluxe & William Optics 71GT look like they might be good models to go for.  I'd welcome the community's views on both, and any other alternatives people recommend.
    • By AstroRuz
      £150 + P&P
      Selling my Altair Astro Triband filter.

This is a triple narrowband filter that allows through Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen III and Hydrogen Beta. This is one of the first models released to get some in the wild before the filter ring was finalized. As such it is in a Skytech L-Pro Max filter ring - but it is a Triband Filter.

I reviewed this filter here. I am selling it on now to fund other items to use and review.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHo6CncgwS8&t=504s

NINASetupBundle_1.9.0.9001.zip NA-NebulaDSS.tif Editing-workflow (1).odt Editing-workflow.odt NA NebulaDSS.TIF googlec78c2055e9f914fc.html google0e6c19e8eb0c872b (1).html google0e6c19e8eb0c872b.html StarSpikes_Plugin_PC_Installer.exe
    • By AstroRuz
      Selling my full narrowband set up for multiple reasons: I could do with the money and mono just isn't really doing it for me.
      £1000
      Includes:
      Altair Astro 183m Tec
      Baader Narrowband filters (Ha, OIII, SII and Clear)
      ZWO Electronic Mini Filter Wheel
      All associated cables/plugs
      T2 extensions to reach 55mm back focus for use with reducers
      Boxes and cases
      There is a scratch on the T2-T2 adaptor for the filter wheel and a couple of the labels on the filter boxes have been torn. But otherwise the important parts work perfectly well.
      Collection or postage via DPD.
      Buyer to pay postage and PayPal fees.
      No offers currently accepted, and I would rather not split

• By Corne de Klerk
      Hi Everyone. Hoping you can guide me in the right direction or give some advice. 
      I was given a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope as a gift and have so far managed to locate and view Jupiter with an Android app. 

I subsequently came across a youtube clip were the guy demonstrated on how to add a DSLR / mobile phone adapter to his telescope as a way to converting his budget telescope to a push / go-to by clipping his mobile phone on top of his telescope and using the star finder app, be able to locate his target and then using his finder scope.  Please note that I am not trying to Astrophotography (yet).
      However, I am unable to find any mounting clips / mobile phone adapters I can buy to add onto my telescope. Any suggestions or ideas how I can make this work? 

Below is what I mean on how I want to attach my mobile phone on top of my telescope.
      Your help will be appreciated!

AC
      South Africa

• By J47
      Hello stargazers, welcome. I had posted a picture yesterday of Uranus that had appeared to show its rings. I am using a Nexstar 4se, a 2x Barlow, and my Neximage Burst Color and capturing hundreds of photos and stacking them for my results. But still had me and others curious to if I were actually seeing the rings of Uranus or maybe just a glare of some sort.
      So I got back out there this morning, might I note I live in FL where the weather tends to stay hot so clear imaging during this time of year can be difficult, but not impossible as this image that I stacked 150 out of 300 images taken may show that statement holds true..............or I could just be mistaken the object in the image, but all in all I am feeling pretty confident that I have a decently clear image(stacked 150 images) of Uranus, its rings, and one of it's distant moons. It may be necessary to zoom in on my photo in order to see the moon it should be down and to the right of the planet a good distance in relation to the size of planet, I noticed that looking at Uranus in the photo helped bring the moon out just like stargazing in real-time. 
      If anyone can better distinguish what I might have done right or wrong here any help would be appreciated (also forgot to change format save for my images so I am stuck with .bmp and setting it as a download, sorry for any inconvenience.) - - - J47(JAY)
      uranusringmoon.bmp

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.