Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrotoaster image of c/2015 V2 (Johnson)

stash_old

Astrotoaster image of c/2015 V2 (Johnson) using APT,unmod Canon 100d live stack in Astrotoaster 60sec x 800 iso  bresser messier 127/635 refractor . Nothing special but something at the lower cost end of  EAA  and "The Needle" NGC 4565

c2015v2johnson.png

the needle.png

Very nice! Interesting to see what is achieveable with a humble DSLR. What f ratio were you using? Out of curiosity do you think a higher ISO would have made any difference to the image?

nice captures,, this is why I like using method,, I couldn't justify buying an expensive usb astronomy camera given the bad weather I've had this year,,I have two canon 600d that allows me use for astronomy and for taking normal  photos, I have added to them a modded 450d and it works fantastic with byeos and astrotoaster.

10 minutes ago, shirva said:

nice captures,, this is why I like using method,, I couldn't justify buying an expensive usb astronomy camera given the bad weather I've had this year,,I have two canon 600d that allows me use for astronomy and for taking normal  photos, I have added to them a modded 450d and it works fantastic with byeos and astrotoaster.

Good to hear that it works well with BYEOS, as that's what I have. Mine is quite  an old version of BYEOS, do I need to upgrade to a more recent version for it to work with astrotoaster do you think? (Sorry to derail thread).

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Very nice! Interesting to see what is achieveable with a humble DSLR. What f ratio were you using? Out of curiosity do you think a higher ISO would have made any difference to the image?

The Bresser is just F5 - Higher ISO dont honestly know but its all a trade off. Still playing with the settings but the newer version of Astrotoaster(AT) is more practical than the orig one I used which annoyed me - e.g. restart the program manually just because I changed the monitoring folder :hmh: I didn't use darks either but I suppose I could create a library but rather defeats the object,for me anyway , of EAA. Biggest problem with AT are the sliders with Colour Adj tab especially when using RDP(or other remote desktops) they are a pain to move.

3 hours ago, shirva said:

Does the modded dslr really make that much difference  with Astrotoaster???

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Good to hear that it works well with BYEOS, as that's what I have. Mine is quite  an old version of BYEOS, do I need to upgrade to a more recent version for it to work with astrotoaster do you think? (Sorry to derail thread).

Does not matter what you use as the imaging software so long as it can create individual frames of the correct format(e.g CR2,Tiff etc) - the software doesn't know Astrotoaster if running as there is no interaction - cant think of any reason why an older BYEOS (which I have too!) wouldn't work. More to do with the "power" of the PC/Mac. I have tried running Astrotoaster on another PC and just picking up the "shared" folder on the BYEOS/APT PC but its too slow. Might try using something like RoboCopy to sync folders ,as an experiment, but it runs ok with my set up.

5 hours ago, stash_old said:

Does the modded dslr really make that much difference  with Astrotoaster???

I believe so,, I don't need to crank up the ISO as much in byeos,, in the few times I've tried it this year, but it would be the same with any more sensitive camera outputting to astrotoaster ,weather been lousy up my end,, I was going to build an observatory this year and fire about £1200 at it to get all the toys in and cut down set up time,, but I'm looking at another option of getting a ford transit and kitting it out for astronomy, night heater,, large inverter.. TV and pc stick.. monitor..cctv DVR ect for going to dark sites and getting away at weekends.

8 hours ago, RobertI said:

You could check out the new version to see if it is worth getting new version,, but you can use Eos utilities like Howie in Oz does,,  I prefer byeos as you can go red screen and It is designed for astronomy 

Archived