Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Knighty2112

First Astro sketch

After viewing Vesta for the first time last night, I thought I'd sit down tonight as the clouds have stopped any observing tonight so far to do a sketch of what I saw. I inverted the image I drew to make it look more realistic, and marked up the position of Vesta (brightest object in the FOV), and also one other star for location. Should have added in also on the sketch that it was viewed with my Celestron 4SE Mak, with a 18mm Celestron X-Cel LX EP. FOV was about 49 minutes (49').

Thanks for looking. Any tips or suggestions (criticisms even) welcome!

Gus 

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.f1226a47c9926ea5136d33c63cc86933.JPG

Mark II which gives a better idea of magnitudes seen in the EP FOV I think.

Enlight2.thumb.jpg.0a0ed04f91860e878b30b255238a6b43.jpg

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, johnfosteruk said:

Triffic sketch Gus, only suggestion I have is do more :)

Thanks John. Much appreciated. Looking at the sketch now I realise I needed to make Vesta more prominent as it was +2 magnitudes more brighter than any of the other stars. I guess it's called learning! :) 

Just now, Richard Hather said:

I agree with John you have to do more I love the way you captured how the view would look in the EP brilliant job ☺

Richard

Thanks Richard! :) 

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Nice one Gus!

Thanks Shane! :) 

Edited by Knighty2112

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Err Shane Lol

Ooops! Sorry Shane! Getting my mods mixed up! Hehe! 

• Like 1

Also now, my first asteroid photo! :) Snapped at 23:50 1st April, and compared against Skysafari for checking. 

Enlight3.thumb.jpg.37126cfd607a304e12ab848425f0f1cd.jpg

IMG_0453.thumb.PNG.4384ca67e0dd151ffbc9f9dc9f043494.PNG

The V added in to the photo below points to Vesta;

Enlight4.thumb.jpg.5d0ac05965109d02e096f85f8db208e6.jpg

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Nice one Gus. First of many I hope! There are quite a few of these little lumps of rock in reach in our scopes. I've bagged half a dozen or so, but never sketched one - which would have have been such a great way to really see their motion. You've inspired me to have a go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

Nice one Gus. First of many I hope! There are quite a few of these little lumps of rock in reach in our scopes. I've bagged half a dozen or so, but never sketched one - which would have have been such a great way to really see their motion. You've inspired me to have a go!

Go for it Paul. It's pretty easy to do. You certainly don't need to be any Picasso or Da Vinci to do it. Would love to see your first sketch when you do one! :) 

• Like 2

I agree with Gus, one of the reasons most of us get into sketching is more then likely to get better at observing and really take in every glorious detail the object has to offer ?

Richard

Edited by Richard Hather
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

I agree with Gus, the reason any of us get into sketching is more then likely to get better at observing and really take in every glorious detail the object has to offer ?

Richard

Yep, absolutely Richard. Hope to do some open clusters soon too, and also some globular clusters too. :) 

• Like 1

Open clusters are a particular favourite of mine but globular and nebular can be stunning too.

Its amazing how when you first view an object not all the stars or the detail of the object become apparent but 1-2 hours in of observation and picking out all the different brightness of each star it soon becomes apparent you would never get to see this object in all its glory if you only visually observed it because your always thinking right what can I view next but sketching slows you down and makes you really observe each object  for a great deal of time ☺

Richard