Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

refractor for imaging with DSLR

JemC

i am currently thinking of changing my SW 130P-DS and getting a refractor for imaging with DSLR (until i can afford a ccd) 
looking to change as i am not really impressed with the diffraction spikes, i didn't think they would bother me, but they do :hmh:

my budget is going to be around £380 which i know is not going to get me a top of the range ota :happy7:but i think it should be able to get me something suitable for my needs,

i am interested in imaging mainly nebula but wouldn't discount galaxies also,

i have seen one of the older blue tube ed80 with focal reducer for £220 is this a good price?

or would you look at getting something a little newer

any recommendations on type/size of refractor for my budget to get would be greatly appreciated,

Regards
James

You are going to struggle to get 130P-DS speed from a refractor.  Losing the spikes will come at the expense of longer exposure times but you won't have to collimate. Then again you might run into QC issues regarding orthogonality, tilt, etc. Groan!!

I don't care a hoot about how new a scope is. I image with two quite old Tak FSQ106N scopes. I have not the slightest desire to change them for anything else however new. If Tak offered me the latest version for free I would decline.

Olly

52 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You are going to struggle to get 130P-DS speed from a refractor.  Losing the spikes will come at the expense of longer exposure times but you won't have to collimate.

Hi Olly

thanks for your reply, that is something i had considered, i did even think that i should keep the 130pds and try and get over my dislike of the spikes and just get a refractor along side it, but i know if i did that i would probably end up not using the 130pds

When i first got the 130 the spikes did not bother me at all, but the more images i  have seen taken with refractors without the spikes the more those images appealed to me,

you can't have your cake and eat so to speak :happy11: so i suppose i will have to live with the speed reduction if thats what having no spikes mean and hope i don't have to many QC issues,

Regards
James

1 minute ago, DanWebster said:

I don't know how good your diy skills are, but if you fancy a challenge you could try and craft some curved spider vanes.

do they get rid of the spikes?? if they do i will be a happy chap :happy11:

I had this problem a few months ago, and ed80 is much slower than my 130pds so I ended up spending my money on a WO star71 mk2 that I'm still waiting for, you seem to have to spend quite a lot to get f5 in a refractor compared to the 130pds

Guest Tuomo
52 minutes ago, JemC said:

do they get rid of the spikes?? if they do i will be a happy chap :happy11:

Curved vanes does NOT remove spikes, they are just evenly "distributed" to entire field. You cant see them, but someone once said they lower contrast, but I really dont buy that. I dont know a thing about curved vanes in AP, but I assume they must be made right. Think of having curved vanes holding secondary which is not at the center of OTA.

I got fed up with a 130P-DS but ended up with the TS Photoline triplet in my sig. I added an APM 0.75 reducer to get down to near f/5 though I was more interested in the fl.

I think the total cost was near £2600.

19 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The do. They smear the artefact all round the image so that you won't, in reality, see it

In that case, i either need to find a place that sell them or have a go at making some (that should be fun with my DIY skills) and at least give them a try before i do anything else :happy11:

5 hours ago, JemC said:

In that case, i either need to find a place that sell them or have a go at making some (that should be fun with my DIY skills) and at least give them a try before i do anything else :happy11:

It's interesting that the top imaging Newt manufacturers don't use them, though. That would give me pause. They are often used by big Dob makers for visual. I think Obsession now use them.

Olly

22 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It's interesting that the top imaging Newt manufacturers don't use them, though. That would give me pause.

Yes i have noticed that :happy11: and there must be a reason for it,

i have been doing some searching on google, at the moment i have only found 2 places in the USA that actually manufacture curved vanes and ship to UK but cost wise doing it that way is getting up to around £80+, is it worth it? 
Yes i could attempt to make my own, but i don't have much confidence in my own DIY skills and then getting everything aligned and working as it should :hmh:

I think my best alternative would be to put that £80+ towards a decent refractor :happy11:

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I think the mushy spread of the spikes would degrade the contrast.

Yes i believe it would, but most of the reports that i have read from people who have tried this way do say it reduces the contrast but not by a great deal, none of them have actually said that it ruins the image,

it is something that i am prepared to try if possible before i look into changing the 130P-DS for a refractor, :happy11:

Archived