Narrowband

Hyperion 5mm or ES 4.7mm in F5 scope

Ags

The highest power my current eyepieces can get in my (hopefully) soon to be delivered 150 PDS is 125x, which is a little low for planets, where the fun starts at around 150 in my opinion. I'm looking at either the ES 4.7 mm 82deg eyepiece for 160x or a Hyperion 5mm for 150x. I guess the ES is regarded as the better eyepiece in general, but I've been very happy with the performance of my other Hyperions on planets as there are no ghosting or reflection problems and they show more detail than the TMB clones I can compare them to. I'm not sure how good a widefield eyepiece like the ES would be specifically on planets but the wider field will help as my new mount is manual.

Another point in favor of the Hyperion is I can use my fine tuning rings on it for different targets. This gives me the options of a 4mm 68 degree eyepiece, or even 3.2mm or 2.6mm if I get really ambitious! What I've observed with the longer fine tuning rings is that the eyepiece FOV gets narrower so I don't think I would go above 4mm very often...

I suggest you wait for the new scope to arrive and see if you are happy with the performance of your existing hyperions in it first. I've read that the hyperions aren't so good in faster scopes and so you may want to check that before investing in another..

Neither!

I recommend the 5.5mm Meade 5000 Waterproof UWA.

-Excellent eye relief

-Sharp right out to the edges in fast scopes

-Light in weight

-Excellent star saturation / color

-The newer ones have incredibly good baffling on the field lens as compared to the ones made from last year.

5.5mm Meade 5000 WP UWA.JPG

5.5mm Meade from june 2015.JPG

5.5mm Meade from March 2017.JPG

5.5 mm is the wrong focal length unfortunately...

I have tried a 24mm and 17mm hyperion in an F5 ST80 and they weren't great... I thought it might not apply at shorter focal lengths.

I will probably have to replace my 24mm hyperion, I could probably afford the 18mm ES shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

Is nominal 4.5mm in the range? Baader morpheus 4.5mm is measured as 4.8mm actually, and better sharpness and image quality in f4 than 4.7mm ES, the 4.7mm is actually not bad at all.

Well, now I've looked through the telescope I've had another think. Somehow 125x in the new scope looks a lot bigger than 150x did in the old one. Also I found tracking with my 6mm TMB Planetary clone was pretty easy, even though I was in a muddle with the new mount. I'm not going to rush in and fix the magnification problem immediately. I did notice the view was a bit ropey away from the center of the 6mm, so I don't think I would get another TMB clone. I'm not going above the price of the 4.7mm ES so the Morpheus is out of the question, but maybe that money could go to two smaller FOV planetary eyepieces instead, a 5mm and 4mm. Alternately I could stick with 125x for this Jupiter season and spend the money on a 32mm erfle as a finder eyepiece, because I know in practice finding stuff is where I struggle.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm still cogitating. My new idea is to get an ES 2x barlow. It's telecentric so it doesn't mess with the AFOV or eye relief. That would turn my Speer Waler 9.4mm into a 4.9mm 82 degree eyepiece. And I would be able to get 250x with my HR Planetary barlowed. It's also a lot cheaper than any EP option I see.

The ES 4.7 is a great eyepiece. The 82d AFOV is incredible to examine the landscape of the moon it's definitely my lovely moon eyepiece. To look at the planets I have a a great Orthoscopic Fujiyama OR-HD with a narrow 42d AFOV. For almost half the price of a ES you get a very high quality visual at high magnifications. It's really strong on the moon too even with my 2x barlow.

You can order directly from Japan.

http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html

Eye relief too short.....AFOV too narrow for a non-tracking scope. I've also owned the 4.7mm ES 82 and had to glue my eye to the lens to see the entire field. Not my idea of long-term comfortable views.

Some are not bothered by such short eye relief, but it drove me up the bend.

For me, a better alternative is a 5mm XW, 5.2mm Pentax XL, or 4.5mm Delos.

The Delos was my favorite.

That's why I'm liking my ES X2 extender idea; I already know and like working with my Speer Waler 9.4. And the option to get 250x for free appeals as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha, I've come up with a new plan. I just sold all my eyepieces (except for the Speer WALER 10mm) as they don't work in a fast scope. The new plan is to go for ideological purity and add two more Speer WALERs, a 17mm and 4.5mm. With a Speer WALER extension tube I will get focal lengths of 5.6mm and 2.8mm too.

Alternately I will go the ES route and sell the Speer WALER 10mm too. And then get an ES 24mm 68 degree and a 4.7, 6.7 and 8.8mm 82 degrees. I would need something at the top end for the Moon and Mars, so I would eventually add a TS 110 degree 3.5mm.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to add something to it, in case anybody was interested.

I just purchased a 5mm Baader Hyperion for my 10" Orion F/4.7 Intelliscope.  It is sharp out to about the 90% mark. I have tested it on Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, globulars and really bright stars. There is not ghosting, and sharpness in my fast reflector is excellent. I was skeptical about the 5mm Hyperion for years, so I just went and bought one to try it out and I am impressed. Eye relief compared to the 4.7mm ES is like night and day. I can sit back quite a bit with the 5mm and the views are very comfortable. If you wear specs, you will also still be able to see the entire field of view. Can't do that with the 4.7mm ES 82 !!!

Really glad I took the chance and bought it. Nice EP, and it goes along well with my 17mm Hyperion and the Baader Morpheus I have. 

Alexander Massey of IceINSpace astronomy forum was right about the 5mm Hyperion!!!

29 minutes ago, TheLookingGlass said:

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to add something to it, in case anybody was interested.

I just purchased a 5mm Baader Hyperion for my 10" Orion F/4.7 Intelliscope.  It is sharp out to about the 90% mark. I have tested it on Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, globulars and really bright stars. There is not ghosting, and sharpness in my fast reflector is excellent. I was skeptical about the 5mm Hyperion for years, so I just went and bought one to try it out and I am impressed. Eye relief compared to the 4.7mm ES is like night and day. I can sit back quite a bit with the 5mm and the views are very comfortable. If you wear specs, you will also still be able to see the entire field of view. Can't do that with the 4.7mm ES 82 !!!

Really glad I took the chance and bought it. Nice EP, and it goes along well with my 17mm Hyperion and the Baader Morpheus I have. 

Alexander Massey of IceINSpace astronomy forum was right about the 5mm Hyperion!!!

The 5mm Hyperion seems to be by far the best of that range in faster scopes :smiley:

I guess it also shows that it's not fair to generalise about a whole range - not all of the focal lengths will have the same characteristics.

2 hours ago, TheLookingGlass said:

I have to ask, is the 17mm Hyperion sharp to 90% out as well in your 10" f4.7 scope?  How about the Morpheus?  Which focal lengths of them do you have?  Of the two that I have, the 9mm is excellent edge to edge at f/6 while the 14mm has minor field curvature and astigmatism from the 85% to 90% mark in the same scopes.

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I have to ask, is the 17mm Hyperion sharp to 90% out as well in your 10" f4.7 scope?  How about the Morpheus?  Which focal lengths of them do you have?  Of the two that I have, the 9mm is excellent edge to edge at f/6 while the 14mm has minor field curvature and astigmatism from the 85% to 90% mark in the same scopes.

I tested the 17mm Hyperion on Vega. It stayed sharp for about 80% of the field. But then I tried a star cluster on it and there is some coma / astig, but most of the field is sharp in the 17mm. 

I own the 12.5mm, 9mm and 6.5mm Morphs. The 12.5 shows some softening near the edges, but it is only about 80% out. The 9mm is very sharp, and the 6.5mm is really sharp out to the edges. I tried Hyperions many years ago and back then I didn't care for them. Then I tried them out again and I really like the 17mm and the 5mm. The newer, shorter version of the 21mm has nice edge correction, which was shocking !!!! Avoid the others, they are not as good.

9 hours ago, TheLookingGlass said:

I tested the 17mm Hyperion on Vega. It stayed sharp for about 80% of the field. But then I tried a star cluster on it and there is some coma / astig, but most of the field is sharp in the 17mm. 

I own the 12.5mm, 9mm and 6.5mm Morphs. The 12.5 shows some softening near the edges, but it is only about 80% out. The 9mm is very sharp, and the 6.5mm is really sharp out to the edges. I tried Hyperions many years ago and back then I didn't care for them. Then I tried them out again and I really like the 17mm and the 5mm. The newer, shorter version of the 21mm has nice edge correction, which was shocking !!!! Avoid the others, they are not as good.

I'm wondering if the design of the Hyperions has changed over the years ?

I tried a set out against Vixen LVW's around 7  years ago and found the Hyperion focal lengths that I tried astigmatic in the outer 20% of field in my F/4.8 newtonian. Here is a segment of my report back then:

" With the 10” f4.8 Newtonian, the Vixen LVWs were noticeably better corrected at the edge of the field of view with stars showing as pinpoints almost right to the edge. While the Hyperions appeared sharp across the central area of the field, they did show astigmatic stars in the outer 20% of the field although this was not as pronounced as some less expensive wide field eyepieces that I have tried. It is also more noticeable at lower magnifications. When used in the f5.9 Maksutov-Newtonian the astigmatism was significantly reduced and with the 102mm f6.5 refractor it was hardly noticeable."

Sounds like the more recent ones have upped their game on correction ?

On 28/08/2018 at 04:09, John said:

I'm wondering if the design of the Hyperions has changed over the years ?

I tried a set out against Vixen LVW's around 7  years ago and found the Hyperion focal lengths that I tried astigmatic in the outer 20% of field in my F/4.8 newtonian. Here is a segment of my report back then:

" With the 10” f4.8 Newtonian, the Vixen LVWs were noticeably better corrected at the edge of the field of view with stars showing as pinpoints almost right to the edge. While the Hyperions appeared sharp across the central area of the field, they did show astigmatic stars in the outer 20% of the field although this was not as pronounced as some less expensive wide field eyepieces that I have tried. It is also more noticeable at lower magnifications. When used in the f5.9 Maksutov-Newtonian the astigmatism was significantly reduced and with the 102mm f6.5 refractor it was hardly noticeable."

Sounds like the more recent ones have upped their game on correction ?

No doubt that the Vixen LVW's are miles ahead of the Hyperions. I'd prob notice more aberrations in the Hyperions if I tested them against the LVW's again myself. Maybe I just learned how to ignore it lately. I'll have a look again next time I am out with them.

Even if so, I like the eye relief they offer, and I really like the 17mm the most. However, correction in the 5mm is exceedingly good too. I really only like the 17mm and the 5mm anyways. I've had a few of the others and they were much worse.

For the record, I think the Baader Morpheus are a lot better. I am debating right now to even keep my 5mm Hyperion, even tho the correction is good in it because the view in the 6.5mm Morpheus on globulars, etc just seems better and I prefer the apparent field of 76° better. When I go back to the 5mm Hyperion after using the 6.5mm Baader Morpheus, the Hyperion feels cramped, lol.

Maybe a 4.5mm Baader Morpheus will be on order instead!

Cheers mates!

Archived