Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Highlights.

Astro Imp

Finally had a clear sky last night and enjoyed some Lunar observing.

Won't bore you all with a full report just the highlights.

Most of my viewing was at x240.

Spent some time on Messier/Messier A, just in from the terminator. An interesting crater to the south caught my eye, Goclenius  (VMA comes in handy), never really notice this before but well worth a look, lots of terracing and features round this crater.

Noticed Petravius, the rimae on the floor was barely detectable, shows the difference a day makes, it would have been very prominent 24 hours earlier. 

The stand out view of the night was Mare Crisium which was beautifully lit by the early morning sun. South of Yerkes runs a feature, I had seen before but not as well lit as now. It looked like a garland with two swags, I have tried previously to find more without any luck. Anyone?

South of Yerkes lies the almost ghost of Lick which again was in an ideal place to observe.

Very nice report Alan!

Your two swags/garlands! We're they part of the wall of Crisium to the west of Yerkes and north of Glaisher? If so, they may be part of the feature known as O'Neil's bridge. Other than that I'm unsure what they could have been.

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Very nice report Alan!

Your two swags/garlands! We're they part of the wall of Crisium to the west of Yerkes and north of Glaisher? If so, they may be part of the feature known as O'Neil's bridge. Other than that I'm unsure what they could have been.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I don't think that is what I saw. If I had your sketching skills I could show you. I'll have to wait 'til this feature is well illuminated again and take better notes at the EP.

I do love our neighbour, there is always something new to see and learn about.

22 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Thanks Mike, I don't think that is what I saw. If I had your sketching skills I could show you. I'll have to wait 'til this feature is well illuminated again and take better notes at the EP.

I do love our neighbour, there is always something new to see and learn about.

I'd be very interested to find out what it was you saw. 

I love the Moon too! It's totally alien landscape is an endless source of fascination to me, and as you say, "there's always something new to see."

Mike

3 hours ago, Size9Hex said:

Nice one Alan. Your lunar reports are terrific. I find there's too much detail to even begin to describe it!

Thanks mate. I do enjoy a bit of Lunar but as you can see if you read the next post I do get it wrong sometimes.

18 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I'd be very interested to find out what it was you saw. 

You'd be very hard pressed to find what I described :iamwithstupid:Had the chance to take another look last night and although the area wasn't so well lit I realised my mistake. What I was actually describing was the western wall of Yerkes and north of that the line of crests joining Yerkes E. 

Note to self, "must pay more attention and take notes at the EP instead of relying on memory"

Thanks anyway Mike and sorry to sow confusion.

2 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

You'd be very hard pressed to find what I described :iamwithstupid:Had the chance to take another look last night and although the area wasn't so well lit I realised my mistake. What I was actually describing was the western wall of Yerkes and north of that the line of crests joining Yerkes E. 

Note to self, "must pay more attention and take notes at the EP instead of relying on memory"

Thanks anyway Mike and sorry to sow confusion.

Ah memory! I seem to remember having one of those myself some time back. :icon_scratch: 

Mike

leslie-nielsen-naked-gun-33-1-3-the-final-insult.jpg

Archived