Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment for Solar Ha Imaging - Advice Please

Gina

I'm looking into the idea of solar Ha imaging and have been looking on the FLO web site at their range of Lunt telescopes.  Quite a range! :D  I was wondering if I could get some advice and information from members who do solar Ha imaging as to the pros and cons of the various scopes.  I have a ZWO ASO1600MM camera - would this be suitable?

Thanks in advance :)

As with all things astro imaging related the more money you throw at it the less hassle it is.

Many folks get great images using the Lunt LS50 but it's not very flexible especially in the focuser department.

I have the LS60 and can highly recommend it.

No idea about the ZWO camera, what you need is a fast frame rate (faster the better) mono camera, various sensors produce more or less of the disc, I use a Skyris 274 to get a full disc but don't recommend it as it's expensive and limited to 20 fps.

The ZWO174 is popular.

Dave

Hi Gina, I can't offer comparison advice but can highly recommend the 80mm Lunt if you are rich! (Which I was until I bought it :-). As I remember, the 80mm was recommended to me over the 60mm due to its extra light gathering capability rather than resolution, as the main limiting factor, in the UK anyway, is the seeing conditions, rather than any theoretical limits of aperture. (Others may correct me on this) I have the b1200 too,which gives me a full disc with my camera set up, and very nice close ups views with a 3x Barlow. I post quite regularly on this forum so you can take a look at what the 80mm can do (in my relatively inexperienced hands anyway!). Iain

Thanks everyone :)

The AB&S Lunt 50 + double stack is sold :(  Not surprising at that price.

I can't afford very much relatively speaking - maybe £2,000 max.  I'm thinking maybe the Lunt LS50THa H-alpha Solar Telescope   to see if I'm as delighted with solar Ha images as I think :D  Also, these use pressure tuning which I gather is much better than tilt tuning as used in the lower priced 60mm scopes.  And yes, it would seem that adding double stack reduces the aperture to 50mm anyway.  The better 60mm plus DS would far exceed my budget unless I sold off a lot of gear.

I get the impression that DS would offer more than going from 50mm to 60mm without DS.

Archived