Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

chriis

Hello from Oxfordshire, UK

Hi All

Signed up a week or so ago but hadn't managed to post yet. Recently become fascinated by the night sky and this forum seems to be full of advice from friendly, knowledgeable people so thought it was a good place to start.

Currently observing either naked eye or with small-aperture birdwatching binoculars while I save for something better - but over the moon (pardon the pun) to have just seen a meteor whilst waiting to see the ISS to go over this evening!!

(I did just google it to make sure 'meteor' was the right term - it was an orangey glow with a long tail streaking across the sky before burning itself out, hopefully I got it right!)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more wonderful sights of the night sky!

Chris

Welcome. And lucky you to pick up a nice meteor.

Have fun with the forum and the hobby.

Hi Chris, and welcome to SGL - it's nice to have you join us!

We all love questions and finding their answers, and soon you'll be answering them yourself - believe it or not.

Congratulations on the meteor & starry skies -

Dave

Welcome ?

Hope you have dark skies in Oxon. Sounds like you caught natures fireworks, meteors are amazing to see.

Good luck and clear skies ?

Hi Chris, welcome to S G L, hope you enjoy the community.

Clear Sky's.

Hi Chris, welcome to the SGL.

If your enjoying the visual aspect of astronomy can I recommend you browse and study the features of  the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P.

Simple to set up, no batteries or power supplies required and no special orientation or alignment issue to worry about, it sits on a cradle called a Dobsonian mount, which is very stable, takes up little space, about the surface area of a kitchen chair, and the scope can used straight away, with the image improving as the mirror cools to its surrounding temperature, 30 mins is sufficient, therefore allowing the use of much higher magnifications, also dependent on the seeing conditions above your head. Most if not ALL telescopes work their best when cooled, collimated ( the 'simple' task of aligning the optics - akin to a user tuning their guitar, has to de done!)

If and when you decide on what you want to see and progress with, just ask, and the good folk here are willing to help. Enjoy your studying :happy9:

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum :)

Thanks all, and some useful info re telescopes Charic - I will certainly take a look!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome from a fellow Oxfordshirian!

As has been mentioned, this place is very welcoming as I have found out from a fellow newb. Just be careful though that you are about to be introduced to a whole new world of toys and your bank balance is in immediate danger. That being said it costs nothing just to walk outside and gaze skywards so enjoy and don't forget to pop back for a chat.

cheers,

Ian

Hi Chris,

Greatings from yet another Oxfordishirian! 

You have found a great resource here and there are plenty of people happy to offer friendly advice, so don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. I remember when starting out I this hobby being told "the only stupid question is one you don't ask".

Steve

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello and welcome from another Oxfordshire bod. The skies south Oxfordshire are not so good. But west and north Oxfordshire might be slightly better.