Pinpoint being annoying

Davey-T

Just put the scope back on the mount after a bit of modding and now pinpoint refuses to solve, nothing has changed same scope camera setup.

It can solve the last images I took but tonight it can't solve new ones :BangHead:

By the time I get it working it will be cloudy.

Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave & I can't offer anything useful as I have never heard of Pinpoint till now.

I am not looking forward to trying my new guidecam for much the same reason, I am sure it will not work 1st go, sod's law I think mate.

Your not clouded out at the mo then Dave ?

Metcheck said it's clear for me, it's clearly not though ;-(, hope you get it sorted Dave.

PS what target were you doing ?

42 minutes ago, Ewan said:

Sorry to hear that Dave & I can't offer anything useful as I have never heard of Pinpoint till now.

I am not looking forward to trying my new guidecam for much the same reason, I am sure it will not work 1st go, sod's law I think mate.

Your not clouded out at the mo then Dave ?

Metcheck said it's clear for me, it's clearly not though ;-(, hope you get it sorted Dave.

PS what target were you doing ?

M81 / M82 or nothing at this rate I'm going to abandon it and use the SCT to look for comet 41p

11 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

grabbing straws here but mine plays up if i have not given it a resonable idea of starting point

Seems to be something odd going on, the co-ords on the handset and those written into the fits header are completely different and the images fail to solve, the last images I did with same setup have the right co-ords in the fits header and solve in seconds :icon_scratch:

Dave

I DON'T BELIEVE IT, I've been mugged by the  BST setting again, I set the hand controller to DST but failed to reset the clock, why o why can't all mounts run on UT ?

My Meade I just run on UT and never have to worry about BST.

Needless to say by the time I figured all this out it has gone cloudy and I've wasted another couple of hours of clear skies :cussing:

Dave

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

Oh dear.

If there is any consolation, I have had a wasted evening too but for different reasons.

Carole 

Sorry to hear that Carole, it's really annoying when there's a bit of clear sky and the equipment won't cooperate.

Clouds now but may just see if I can spot the comet again in the gaps before I give up for the night.

Dave

My reasons for a wasted evening were several fold.

I really wanted to try to get a target near sirius, but from my observatory it is behind the trees, so thought I'd using my camping rig and set it up on the patio.  

I have difficulty polar aligning since my knee fracture as I can't kneel down (certainly as yet), so am struggling with a right angled polar finder which works OK except it flops and needs at least one hand to hold it up (must add some more tape round the Polarscope eyepiece to make a tighter fit I think).  Then I looked up at the sky where polaris should be which is just over the roof of the house, and realised my neighbours are in the middle of converting the loft and now there is a dirty great dormer window right where Polaris should be.  So I slowly dragged the entire rig to as far as I could go on the patio and tried from there.  Could I find polaris?  No I couldn't.  So I decided to try alignmaster which i have used in the obsy, but never used with the HEQ5.  Hmmm, not enough com ports.  Went back to the right angled polarfinder again.  Think I have aligned on polaris - eventually.

By the time I had done all this, my target was between the trees.  I managed to just get enough "spoilt data" to see that i can at least get the Seagull nebula in the FOV.  I was hoping that I could get this target from the patio, but alas no, it needs to be imaged away from home. 

Duh!!

Carole 

40 minutes ago, carastro said:

By the time I had done all this, my target was between the trees.  I managed to just get enough "spoilt data" to see that i can at least get the Seagull nebula in the FOV.  I was hoping that I could get this target from the patio, but alas no, it needs to be imaged away from home. 

Duh!!

Carole 

Seagull sounds an ambitious target for a Bromley back garden Carole, no hope here now the neighbouring LLeyandii have grown another 6 feet.

Dave

Archived