1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

New Scope: 20" f3.6 Lukehurst Dobsonian

I picked up my new (and first ever) dob from Nottingham yesterday. Its a 20" f3.6 Lukehurst dobsonian. It has a 1/10 wave mirror. David Lukehurst gave a quick demo of the scopes features and answered my questions on collimation. Then it was time to dismantle and put all the pieces into my car. I had taken some duvets and pilllows to allow me to get everything packed in and there wasn't much room to spare... Everything was unloaded into my garage just before dark.

Today I have been making up some wiring to connect the various "enhancements" that will increase my use of the scope. David had fitted the powered ground board, 10K encoders and Nexus controller plus UTA dew controller unit (he cleverly wired the dew controlled up through one of the hollow trusses which is a neat solution) & secondary heater. He has added a few pass through holes in the corners that made it easier to get the cables out to the mirror box to connect up the fan & UTA dew system.

Once that was complete, I got my neighbour to help me carry the mirror box from the garage down to my shed (obsy). Assembly was a breeze as David numbers each side and each of the trusses so you get them on the correct side (easy).

dob1.jpg.99f934a6cc0fd54b29629c4fbdc4c945.jpg

dob2.jpg.eac6a31a9a497e7580df256921dff78c.jpg

dob3.thumb.jpg.942a49f3bb2610d89355ae36cce15341.jpg

I added the shroud then attempted collimation using the Howie Glatter laser & tublug.

dob6.jpg.c76fab97a65717a0cf2a65aaad1c1ffb.jpg

The secondary was almost spot on and the primary took a half turn before the triangle shaped centre spot appeared in the tublug display.

dob7.thumb.jpg.5a78edde0c84aa251605b7283dfafd98.jpg

I gave the Nexus a test with a false alignment on the sun and practised some push pull to find the imaginary mercury and mars. All seemed to be working fine.

dob9.jpg.95ced46a9f7e31ed815e19b3baab1c7f.jpg

Just had time to fit my astro systems scope coat and see how much spare material there was as the coat is for an f5 longer scope. Anyway, too much cover seems to make the job of putting it on much easier :)

dob8.jpg.24672d291e139d1920d6378e767c14cc.jpg

Now, I just need a clear spell to get out and align the finder then we should be away!

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 24

What a superb scope Alan :hello2:

You must be as pleased as punch with it !

I can still vividly recall the views that I got of M13 and M51 through a 20" Lukehurst dob under dark skies and that was 5 years or so ago now :icon_biggrin:

I hope you get lots of clear skies over the coming months to enjoy that light guzzling capability.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nightfisher said:

Looks a beaut, should give stunning views, is the shed a roll of so you can use the monster dob in situ?

Yes it is a roll off, with a drop down side to the SE.

David has made me some wheelbarrow handles so I can reposition within the shed if I need to get at something out of reach.

I tested the eyepiece level and at zenith I need to get on my tip-toes :)

The scope is BIG once you get it in the shed and I may not be able to stray too far away from zenith unless its E-SW direction. It will be part of the learning process to find the best floor location for the scope in the shed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOC said:

Wow, another one of those huge Dobs.  Do you need a step ladder or some sort of step stool to view through it or is it hooked through to a computer screen?

Nope, I can see at the zenith by standing on tip-toes. The focal length is only 1800mm thanks to f3.6 :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

I can see at the zenith by standing on tip-toes

That sounds most useful, much more convenient I should think to be able to access everything from the ground - I've seen pictures on the net where people have to climb ladders and that can't be convenient in the dark!

If you haven't got one already I would recommend a Paracorr. I have a 20" F3.5 with a Paracorr and the star images and lunar craters are good to the edge of the FOV. I think you will love the scope, like most others I look forward to your first light report.  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

If you haven't got one already I would recommend a Paracorr. I have a 20" F3.5 with a Paracorr and the star images and lunar craters are good to the edge of the FOV. I think you will love the scope, like most others I look forward to your first light report.  :icon_biggrin:

There is a Paracorr in the signature. Although, by the look of it, Alan doesn't seem like a chap to skimp on his kit; I'd guess that there might be a SIPS lurking in that Feather Touch?

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

There is a Paracorr in the signature. Although, by the look of it, Alan doesn't seem like a chap to skimp on his kit; I'd guess that there might be a SIPS lurking in that Feather Touch?

Paul

No, no SIPS. I needed the 2.5" drawtube focuser so I can switch to binos. The SIPS only works with the 1.5" focuser version.

but, yes, I do have the paracorr2 - although I need to write down the settings and put the sheet in the shed... another task for tomorrow

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Tiago Ferreira
      Important improvements you should do to your 8" DOBSONIAN telescope. This is the first wave of upgrades you can do in your Dob to properly prepare it to have much better visual and imaging sessions. A second wave will be needed which includes also the Telrad finder and it will be explained in another video. Have a nice weekend!

• By Tiago Ferreira
      Want to buy a telescope? I give you 5 good reasons to choose an 8" DOBSONIAN Telescope. Usually the right choice for beginners but also experienced astronomers can benefit from its advantages. That's why i bought this one to join my 12 inch.
      This is not just a single video but the beginning of a beautiful JOURNEY with this set up which i hope you participate too.
      Please feel free to leave your comments: do you have already an 8inch DOBSONIAN or would you like to have one? What are your thoughts about it? SHARE.
      This is a TS Optics (GSO) 8" f/6 DOBSONIAN.
      Have a nice weekend!

• By Astro_Nic
      Hello everyone!

First time poster here, so please go easy!  Am looking to purchase my first telescope, so I am a complete beginner and although there are loads of similar posts, all are slightly different and it's quite confusing!  Although I did study Astronomy and Astrophysics as part of my first degree (although that mainly concerned the calculation of the speed and mass of galaxies and such like!), but we did have access to the university's telescopes which included their 37" SCT!  Link here if you are interested:  

http://observatory.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/files/2018/06/JGT_manual.pdf

I would therefore consider myself very technically minded and certainly like a challenge.  I am always go big or go home and that will certainly apply to me taking up this awesome hobby (although I value your expert advice).  I am fascinated with space and spend hours reading science journals and books. 

So for my first foray into the hobby I would like to get proficient in visual astronomy - no astrophotography at all.  But I don't want to start small, I want to start large(ish)!  But I don't want to go bigger than necessary considering my sky conditions.  So:

My skies are bortle 5 - although it's fairly decent to the North, East and South - not as good to the west due to a town; I do have nearby access to Bortle 4 and 3 and my wife's parents live in a Bortle 3, which is a three hour drive away.  There is a local club about 5 miles away in Bortle 4/5.  However, I will not get into this if I can't spend the majority of my time at my home.  So consider 90% of my time will be in my own garden.  So I do not need the scope to be particularly easy to transport.  I am a fit and relatively strong individual anyway.  I am 6'1"; I don't want to limit my viewing to one object or another, although my interest is definitely more on the DSO rather than planets.  So my interest probably in this order: Galaxies, nebulae (not so much planetary), globular clusters, planets, sun; I'm not settled on a budget yet....depends if stretching it gets me some tangible benefits.....perhaps £5,000 for scope + mount - or lower!; I'd like a premium quality scope; I know that one scope doesn't do everything and that a good visual scope will not make a good astrophotography scope, but I would like the OTA to be capable of at least getting me into astrophotography at later date (subject to purchasing a relevant mount and other goodies) as I believe that is where I will go (although this scope is purely for visual for the purpose of this post as I may just not use it enough and feel the expense of moving into astrophotography is not worth it); I think that star hopping and the hunt for DSOs will be part of the fun - so not looking for GEM or tracking - unless you feel I will struggle to spot enough stars and not end of finding anything.  I have purchased Turn Left at Orion and a variety of other books.  
      So having searched this site I believe what would be best would be a dobsonian.  I want stunning views so I was thinking a 12 inch or even 14 inch.  But only if I am going to get a tangible benefit considering my Bortle 5 skies (although I may fall in love with the hobby and travel to better sites - my cousin is also into astronomy and has a scope and has suggested the Northumberland dark sky park which is close to him - largest gold rated dark star park in Europe).

So I was thinking of the Orion Optics UK CT14 (or the CT12) with a dobsonian mount.  This is an f4.6 carbon fibre tube with 1/10 pv mirror.  This is a local company (I am based in the UK) and like the idea of using British, rather than SE Asia.

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/our-telescopes/ct-series/

Would this be a great beginner dobsonian?  Any draw backs?  Any better alternatives? What benefits would a 14 inch have over a 12 inch in Bortle 5?  The 14" is considerably more expensive; Could this be used for astrophotography with a suitable mount? The 12 inch weighs 15kg and the 14 inch 29kg - when upgrading to a GEM at a later date for photography, what would be suitable - CEM120 or EQ8 enough? - only want to know if at some point it can start me off in photography - no intention of doing so for 12-36 months; If I don't go dobsonian, what else is out there for visual?  I'm impressed with the large SCTs - 11HD edge for example.  Would this be too complex to start with?  Poor choice for DSO's / photography? Will have loads more queries and can provide any more info I may have missed......just want to make sure I am on the right track and start planning that first scope.

Thanks everyone!  and great to meet you all!

Nic 

• By shiladazz
      Hi,
      I am a beginner and planning to buy my first telescope. After much research I decided to go for an 8 inch Dobsonian and since I am in Germany I chose Skywatcher 8 inch classic which seems to be the favorite. 
      However, Astroshop.de pushed out the delivery date to July and others like Teleskop  Spezialisten have refused to take any preorder before he has cleared his backlog. Astro shop has already postponed delivery by two month and there is no guarantee they won’t do it again. 

They have a earlier  delivery date on GSO 8 inch Dob with the deluxe version with  1:10 micro reduction and better EP - 2” 30 mm vs 1.25” 25 mm on SW. The GSO is 50 Eur more expensive but at this point I am beyond caring for EUR 50 to be honest. 

Finally, they also have an Omegon 8 inch option which Stefan Taube as an expert has commented as the same GSO OTA essentially with a better rockerbox. This unit is available for immediate delivery. 
      https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-dobson-telescope-prodob-n-203-1200-radiant/p,62920
      Does anyone have experience with Omegon and GSO and would care to share with me if this is a prudent choice given the circumstances? Are they indeed the same? 
      I do not want to wait a year for the device but also would not want to jump in without checking with you experts.
      cheers, 
      shiladazz
    • By Astro_Dad
      Hi, there will be plenty written on this but I’d be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a well written beginners guide. I am awaiting delivery of a 10 inch Dobs (250p classic) and although will be primarily for visual use I’m interested to see what would be possible astrophotography wise (planetary) using my Celestron Skyris 132C cam. I assume something along the lines of the drift method - I’m not expecting miracles given the set up here but any advice or tips on this would be appreciated to help get started. 

Clear Skies
      AD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.