SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom MK4 + Barlow

Adaaam75

Guys/Girls,

I have the basic Celestron EP and filter set that seems to be the same across all makes with the only difference of the name branding on the metal carrycase. I have made enquiries for a decent eyepiece for planets and moon and also the larger DSO's and have been pointed in the direction of the Baader Hyperion Zoom MK 4 which falls within my £200 budget. Any user opinions on this ep and experience? Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I've owned a few of the Hyperion Zooms. They are pretty good performers, for a zoom. I felt that the 24mm focal length end was not great because the field edge was constrained and unsharp so I tended to use them as 20-8mm zooms. The optical performance is around the same as a decent plossl but with a bit more eye relief and field width at the shorter focal lengths.

You can get them for around £100-£120 on the used market but thats just the zoom. With the barlow included that would be a bit more.

I`ve used the mk III plus barlow for some years and had lots of fun With it, especially observing lunar and planets, and for globulars and

tighter open clusters (e.g M37). The low Power end (20-24mm) has way to narrow fov for my liking.

For some reason I have been struggling a bit lately with eyepositioning and 'blackouts'. I did like the combo zoom+barlow alot

giving me a possible 50x-338x 'Power range' With my 8" f6 dob.

Rune

I really like mine. I don't have the barlow (I use Nagler Zooms), so can't comment on that. I suspect that I am not as discerning as others when it comes to optics, but I know what I like when I use it and I can imagine - indeed, am contemplating - using this as a "main" eyepiece, with one other for wider field and another for higher power, depending on scope. My main considerations for this are space, weight and simplicity without loss of enjoyment.

If - like me - you are still figuring things out and have not (yet?) decided on your favorite focal lengths, this is a very nice option.

Depending on how much you enjoy the convenience of the zooming (guilty pleasure of mine) you may outgrow it but it can certainly hold a place as a "utility" eyepiece even if you eventually get a couple of fixed-length specimens within its range.

It feels solid and well made and I expect mine to last. Both of them.

:happy11:

I'm looking to buy it in the next couple of months once the obs is completed and definately in time for autumn. By all accounts the reviews are positive for the MK 4 and as I have some fixed already the zoom does have its advantages. Immediately obvious is the MK 4 reduces the need to keep swapping out eye pieces.

It's going to fit onto my newly purchased 9.25SCT but I'm holding out because my budget allows the completion of the obs (roof issues!).

30 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

....It's going to fit onto my newly purchased 9.25SCT ...).

I`m not so sure you`ll need the barlow if youre planning to use it With a 9.25?  the 8mm on the zoom already gives you 294x....

Rune

Edit : However, having the option of going up to 660x might be a thrill on rare occasions :icon_biggrin:

Okay so......

1) Use the remainder of my budget on the Baader Hyperion zoom

or

2) Commission and install a pier for the observatory using the existing Celestron Plossl  set for now and purchase Baader EP later in the year?

Personally I'd rather fully complete and future proof the observatory now IF you guys think the Celestron EP set will tide me over for a few months. Is this the case or is the Celestron EP set ruining the quality of the scope?

While I love Zoom's for their simplicity and convenience - and I have the Baader Mark III and it's excellent - I have trouble in suggesting a Zoom for use at home/observatory as one's dedicated planetary or DSO eyepiece. I'd be more inclined to go for (or save up for) a few GOOD fixed focal-length EP's with a wider Field-Of-View in the lower-range than a Zoom can deliver (an 8mm - 24mm Zoom all have the same rather narrow FOV's). At 24mm they are so narrow than many consider these really to be more properly called a 8mm - 20mm Zoom EP. And the optical quality at these focal-lengths also drop-off and tend to lose contrast and clarity.

But they sure are fun and easy to use!

That's my 2¢ -

Dave

On 1 April 2017 at 02:53, Dave In Vermont said:

While I love Zoom's for their simplicity and convenience - and I have the Baader Mark III and it's excellent - I have trouble in suggesting a Zoom for use at home/observatory as one's dedicated planetary or DSO eyepiece. I'd be more inclined to go for (or save up for) a few GOOD fixed focal-length EP's with a wider Field-Of-View in the lower-range than a Zoom can deliver (an 8mm - 24mm Zoom all have the same rather narrow FOV's). At 24mm they are so narrow than many consider these really to be more properly called a 8mm - 20mm Zoom EP. And the optical quality at these focal-lengths also drop-off and tend to lose contrast and clarity.

But they sure are fun and easy to use!

That's my 2¢ -

Dave

Calvin, when I have completed my obs I will create a new topic with plenty of pics to illustrate my efforts, I had attempted a split roof and will include these pics too but although the design works the weight of the current roof on the existing shed will create issues in the future with regard to opening it so I have reverted back to a rolling roof plan which will be built in the next month or so but stay toned for the thread!

Dave thank you for your 2 cents (my uk keyboard doesn't have the cent symbol!, first world problems!). Along with everyone else your opinion is valuable and important to me and although I'd love to begin a collection of 3-4 quality ep's for my scope I wouldn't really know where to start. The zoom option was suggested to me as a good allrounder as I already have the Celestron Plossl basic set. What I think I may do is hang on for a bit no see if I keep defaulting back to one particular EP and then consider up grading that one first to start that collection rather than jumping in with a zoom now. I must admit though the Baader Hyperion MK4 has come with race user reviews so it will enter my collection at some point in the future I suspect.

For a traveling-about-town eyepiece, a Zoom can't be beat! While lower-cost Zooms from places like Seben used to have poor-quality optics, nowadays they are very good indeed - and very inexpensive compared to the Baader. Or the highest priced ones like Pentax and Leica. So you could get a lower-cost Zoom while continuing to work with your Plössl collection. One caveat: I'd avoid the 7.5mm - 21mm Zooms. They tend to be inferior to the optical quality of the 8mm - 24mm ones.

My keyboard doesn't have the '¢' symbol either. They took those away from us! :p I use Alt. Codes. Alt. 0162 <no space> = ¢

Dave

14 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

For a traveling-about-town eyepiece, a Zoom can't be beat! While lower-cost Zooms from places like Seben used to have poor-quality optics, nowadays they are very good indeed - and very inexpensive compared to the Baader. Or the highest priced ones like Pentax and Leica. So you could get a lower-cost Zoom while continuing to work with your Plössl collection. One caveat: I'd avoid the 7.5mm - 21mm Zooms. They tend to be inferior to the optical quality of the 8mm - 24mm ones.

My keyboard doesn't have the '¢' symbol either. They took those away from us! :p I use Alt. Codes. Alt. 0162 <no space> = ¢

Dave

What does the extra 21mm zoom offer that the 24mm can't?

18 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

What does the extra 21mm zoom offer that the 24mm can't?

For some reason the base design doesn't seem to deliver as well as the 8-24mm's. This does assume that, at the mid / budget end of things, they are clones of a couple of basic designs.

Try heading for the Leica versions. Never tried one, but they are supposed to be great.

Paul

PS. I have a couple of the Baader efforts. They are good. But certainly don't replace the fixed length eyepieces.

I would not generalise on all 7-21 zooms being poor. There are a couple of decent ones but the lower cost Seben / Skywatcher 7-21's are the ones to avoid. For some reason the 8-24's under the same branding (also Celestron, Vite and others) are actually pretty useful for their relatively low cost. Good for outreach sessions :smiley:

Archived