Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New from Germany

Jedi2014

I just like to introduce myself, because I am a brand new member of SGL. My name is Jens and I am 52 years old, living in Bremen located in northern germany near north sea cost. I've been interested in astronomy since childhood, but bought my first telescope only 3 years ago and started with astrophotography from scratch. From this day on a passion awaked. First time of my life I could watch real things in space - not directly through the telescope, but in the captured pictures. In autumn of 2015 I built a small observatory in my garden which makes astrophotography much easier for me. I am looking forward to share images and having interesting discussions here at the forum. 

Greetings

Jens

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :-) feel free to share images whenever you  feel like it.  SGL  members range from all levels, from beginners to dome of the best published images on the planet. A wealth of knowledge and opinions are available here.

Willkommen, Jens (from a German member in south-west Germany (Odenwald, 12 km SW of Erbach/Michelstadt)).

Bremen has a longstanding astronomical tradition associated with persons as Olbers, Schroeter, and Bessel. The small village of Lilienthal  nearby was the location of the largest reflecting telescope in Europe at the beginning of the 19. century (50-cm-mirror with 8 m focal length). This observatory of Johann Hieronymus Schroeter (yes, the moon feature Schroeter's Valley!) was rebuilt during the last years. Up to now, I didn't have the chance for a visit, but I think it's worthwhile; have a look at their website here:

http://www.telescopium-lilienthal.de/

Again, a warm welcome to this friendly forum!

Stephan

Hi all,

thank you so much for your warm welcome. This makes me immediately feel at home.

@Stephan: of course I know the astronomical history around Bremen and I visited the Telescopium some month ago. It was very fascinating how they guide the scope in the 18th century ;-)

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

On 1.4.2017 at 09:52, Jedi2014 said:

@Stephan: of course I know the astronomical history around Bremen and I visited the Telescopium some month ago. It was very fascinating how they guide the scope in the 18th century ;-)

Well, I was almost sure about that, Jens, but I just wanted to take the chance of pointing our Anglo-Saxon friends on this forum to this marvellous reconstruction. Nice photos you've added of an important precursor observatory of Birr Castle!

Stephan

25 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Well, I was almost sure about that, Jens,...

Nice photos you've added of an important precursor observatory of Birr Castle!

Stephan

The photos are from the Telescopium in Lilienthal. Not Birr Castle ?

It is 3 km distance from my home.

8 minutes ago, Jedi2014 said:
32 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

The photos are from the Telescopium in Lilienthal. Not Birr Castle ?

I know, I know.... - therefore the term precursor!

By the way - did you know that the great German author Arno Schmidt ("Zettels Traum") had planned a leviathan book project "Lilienthal 1801, oder Die Astronomen" (guessed about 5000 pages )? It was never realised, but the fragments and materials of the project have been collected and published (Haffmanns Verlag); quite interesting read.

Stephan

Archived